This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: H/H/H wiring

I'm starting to believe in black magic here. I shouldn't have given piece of my hair to my ex. Oh Odin have mercy on my soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaakkk View Post
      I'm starting to believe in black magic here. I shouldn't have given piece of my hair to my ex. Oh Odin have mercy on my soul.
      [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

The only thing left to do now

Comment

The only thing left to do now
          https://youtu.be/SJUhlRoBL8M
          Haha, nah, someone will be able to help out.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

The mind boggling mysteriously grounded middle lug was solved!

Now let's go back to the one an only eternal question:
            "Why decreasing of the Volume is increasing the noise on all pickups whole or split?"

Can it be the mini toggle switch?
            Can it be the Amp or the Guitar processor I'm using?
            Last edited by Zaakkk; 07-15-2020, 07:48 PM.

Comment

The mind boggling mysteriously grounded middle lug was solved!

Now let's go back to the one an only eternal question:
              "Why decreasing of the Volume is increasing the noise on all pickups whole or split?"

Can it be the mini toggle switch?
              Can it be the Amp or the Guitar processor I'm using?
              Congrats! That does make sense to me - that middle lug gets connected to ground when the pot is turned to zero - wish I would have thought of that. Oh well, great job in finding it.

For your question about the hum as the volume ctl is turned down: have you checked and confirmed that all components (besides the mini toggle and superswitch) have interconnected grounds that ultimatelty lead back to the Ouput Jack ground?

[EDIT: namely, the Volume Control and the Tone Control... each must have a connection to the Output Jack ground...whether each one directly, or in daisy-chain method. Daisy-chain is the most common/popular method.
              Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 07-16-2020, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Yup, checked and confirmed. Everything is grounded, including the 5 way switch and the mini toggle switch.

Even if I hadn't used a single grounding wire, except the jack ground connecting to the Tone pot, everything will be still grounded because everything is mounted on the same continuity checked copper surface.

At the moment, as you are able to see from the pictures and the videos, the pots are connected with grounding wire. All green and bare + the 3 middle lugs of the mini switch are grounded to the Volume, and the jack ground is wired to the Tone. As a result everything is grounded to everything twice.

The only thing I haven't tried is to split the Jack ground wire on two even wires and ground them independently between the two pots. Oh, well, why not, I'll do it! I'll do it and if it doesn't work, I'll burn the guitar down as sacrificial offering in desperate attempt to better my karma.

As for the mysterious middle lug grounding at 0 , I don't believe that the CTS pots can be unique at that, but if any of you here have some pot laying around, I would be happy if you measure the middle lug at 0 without even grounding the side lug, and share the result. What is happening at 0 is the middle lug gets connected to the side lug and that's how it gets grounded because the side lug is grounded to the pot's casing.
                Last edited by Zaakkk; 07-16-2020, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Ok, you say the Jack ground goes to the Tone Pot. So, the Volume Pot needs a ground wire to go from the back of its case, to the back of the case of the Tone pot. If you don't have such a wire already connected, you need to add one. In my prior reply, i said that the Tone Pot, the Volume Pot, and the Jack Ground all need to be *interconnected.* Like in the diagram. See what I circled in purple in the attached photo.

Maybe you already have these connections - I am just double-checking.

Comment

Comment

...As for the mysterious middle lug grounding at 0 , I don't believe that the CTS pots can be unique at that, but if any of you here have some pot laying around, I would be happy if you measure the middle lug at 0 without even grounding the side lug, and share the result. What is happening at 0 is the middle lug gets connected to the side lug and that's how it gets grounded because the side lug is grounded to the pot's casing.
                      https://youtu.be/A2TfaZSbPYE
                      I just tested a volume pot with a meter and comfirmed its middle lug also shows continuity to ground when the pot is turned down to zero. However, there was a slight difference with mine where it only showed continuity when I continued to apply pressure, like i was trying to dial it down below zero.
                      Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 07-16-2020, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks.
                        If direct connection between the two lugs means absolutely no signal going out, the pot you tested doesn't have such level of signal canceling but I guess cancels good enough so the signal is not audible even though it is not absolute 0 without putting extra pressure on it to get it to make a better contact.

Comment

Ok, your components were already interconnected to Jack Ground. Good.

I don't understand what you mean about planning to split the jack ground btw tone pot and volume? How you already had it (interconnected) should be fine.

Comment

Regarding the increased noise that you hear when you dial the volume pot down: can you review the below and perform the steps mentioned to confirm that the noise is not actually 60 cycle hum vs a grounding problem?

Comment

Zaakkk,

I hope all is well. What's the latest status with this guitar?

Comment

PROBLEM SOLVED

Short explanation of what happened...

I have annoying hard to explain noise increase when I turn the Volume down on my guitar while plugged into my DigiTech RP360 XP guitar processor: https://youtu.be/LK9wFZj1gbM

(the Tone issue in the video was due to bad soldering)

First I blamed it on my wiring and troubleshoot there without success.

So I tried to replicate the same noise problem without using the DigiTech processor, to see if the noise is coming from there.

I used a USB interface and the standalone "Neural DSP" guitar app on my computer instead.

There is a [HI-Z] switch on the Steinberg USB interface that switches the input impedance On or Off. According to the manual, this switch is to be used On when connecting high impedance instruments, such as an electric guitars.

Obviously my custom wired DiMarzio harness Ibanez guitar is not High Z (impedance) enough and probably that's why I have the Volume down = noise Up problem.

Should I modify the guitar wiring and increase the impedance - Z?
                                What do you think?

Last edited by Zaakkk; 07-20-2020, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X