X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack_TriPpEr
    replied
    Re: H/H/H wiring

If it's all positions, then maybe the location where you play this guitar has a lot of EMI/RFI. And so adding copper shielding tape inside the control cavity of your guitar would help with that.

Do you have any other electric guitars that you have played in the same location and they have NOT hummed?

Leave a comment:

• Zaakkk
    replied

All positions.

Leave a comment:

• Jack_TriPpEr
    replied

Originally posted by Zaakkk View Post
    Thanks. I've experienced old scratchy pots way back in my youth.
    My brand new CTS never skipped or made a scratching noises. Smooth as it gets it was just adding incremental humming noise when I was decreasing the volume.
    I have two other brand new so I guess I can give it a try and hope for the best. That's the only thing I haven't tried.
    Was the humming happening in all pickup selector positions, or just the ones that featured split humbuckers?

Leave a comment:

• Zaakkk
    replied

Thanks. I've experienced old scratchy pots way back in my youth.
    My brand new CTS never skipped or made a scratching noises. Smooth as it gets it was just adding incremental humming noise when I was decreasing the volume.
    I have two other brand new so I guess I can give it a try and hope for the best. That's the only thing I haven't tried.

Leave a comment:

• Jack_TriPpEr
    replied

That is a very good idea indeed, let's test it!

Hum, is it possible for this pot to be broken?
    Very nice that you made your own video.

Read this article about scratchy pots and seeing if spraying electronic contact cleaner into it might resolve the issue:

Leave a comment:

• Zaakkk
    replied

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
    Ok, re-do that wiring again, but this time use a different volume pot. The volume pot you had was broken, that's all. Just replace it.
    That is a very good idea indeed, let's test it!

Hum, is it possible for this pot to be broken?

Leave a comment:

• Jack_TriPpEr
    replied

Yes, it worked somewhat well but I was able to use the Volume only on Max. In any other position it was adding noise louder than what I was playing.
    This is how it worked: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c326t3jhjs...32525.jpg?dl=0
    Ok, re-do that wiring again, but this time use a different volume pot. The volume pot you had was broken, that's all. Just replace it.

Leave a comment:

• Zaakkk
    replied

I found this to be somewhat similar to what we try here:

Leave a comment:

• Zaakkk
    replied

Samples of how it sounded with the first wiring I did.

Last edited by Zaakkk; 07-09-2020, 05:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Zaakkk
    replied

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
    Am I understanding correctly that the wiring scheme quoted above, did everything you wanted except that the volume control had some issues?
    Yes, it worked somewhat well but I was able to use the Volume only on Max. In any other position it was adding noise louder than what I was playing.
    This is how it worked: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c326t3jhjs...32525.jpg?dl=0

Leave a comment:

• Zaakkk
    replied

Thanks GuitarDoc, you are right. The mini switch is 3PDT too.
    Why do I do such things?!
    I will edit my stupidity now.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarDoc
    replied

1. Generic mini toggle switch (3TDP) with 9 terminals - 2 Positions (On/On)
    You probably meant "3PDT"

Leave a comment:

• Jack_TriPpEr
    replied

I tried this wiring https://www.dropbox.com/s/0fbauynih6...iring.jpg?dl=0 and it somewhat worked but had problem.
    It was getting noisy when rolling down the Volume so I couldn't use the Volume in any other value but on Max.
    Am I understanding correctly that the wiring scheme quoted above, did everything you wanted except that the volume control had some issues?

Leave a comment:

• Zaakkk
    replied

Hi Jack!
    Hi guys!
    Thanks!
    I was about to offer the blood of three virgins to the Gods of Valhalla in return to working wiring, but you saved them all and my cursed soul.
    On your question.
    I am obviously unaware of what conditions should I follow in order to keep the hum canceling on all 3 positions.
    So feel free to complettly disregard my intellectual attempts and come up with something that makes sense.
    I have already drilled extra hole between the Volume and Tone pots for a toggle switch.
    So if you can utilize it in any practical way, please do so using either one of those switches I have in hand (or any other you choose):
    1. Generic mini toggle switch (3PDT) with 9 terminals - 2 Positions (On/On)
    2. DiMarzio EP1111 (4PDT) Pickup Selector Switch with 12 terminals - 3 Position (On/On/On)
    Are you sure I should leave the virgins alone?
    Last edited by Zaakkk; 07-09-2020, 08:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lewguitar
    replied

Just a warning: When you're all done figuring out how to do this you'll probably only love three or four of those settings enough to use them.

I wired my Strat for 10 tones.

Guess which ones I use?

The stock ones!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X