Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeremy
    replied
    maybe the initial release was cs? ive only seen the production ones. its a great set! i actually love the neck pup more than the bridge, at least for the guitar i have them in. its fantastic both clean and dirty

Leave a comment:

• Stratty316
    replied
    stupid question, but what's the difference between the Custom Shop version and the standard version?

Leave a comment:

• Spirit of 76
    replied
    Always good to hear different people's experiences. And I agree that the WLHs have a lot of application versatility beyond being great for classic rock; I am sure they would fair pretty well in any Rock style, and probably even some country/jazz.

I am just convinced that it's a solid pickup overall.

Leave a comment:

• BloodRose
    replied
    I've really nothing new to add, so prolly shouldnt even take ya'lls time to read this. But, I will say this.. Ive always been a hotter pickup kinda guy. I used to run alot of 59s in the neck (bridge model) position, (with something hotter in the bridge) I got in the habit of using bridge models in the neck as a tech (for you JAX guys, it was Chip) once told me I could a more smokey blues flavor with the bridge model. I got to where I was putting A4 mags in my 59s to roll down the highs a bit and tighten the lows. As I said, usually always used something hotter in the bridge like a Custom 8 or... I was blessed with a set of WLH and was really impressed with them. They dont feel like weak pickups (Like I found the A2P to feel in the bridge) ((Again, My picky preference)), But they seem to have plenty of... um... nuggets.. But tone galore.. I had to sell the LP I had them in, and throughout the years I have been foolish enough to sell my guitars as is, thinking the upgraded pickups would be a value add and plus I didnt have time to pull pickups prior to selling and all. Sadly, I lost many great pickups this way, including some of my special forum run pups like the Crazy 8 and more.
    Anyhow, short story long... When I put the LP up, I DEF plucked the WLH set out. Im most likely going to put them in my Dean Soltero, which is the LP style guitar Im hoping to keep. Even tho the pups in it are pretty good, being the Dean Nostalgia neck and Mountain of Tone bridge.. IMO, they can sound hotter than they are rated, but clean up well, and are very sweet. I liken it to the thinking that back in the day, Many players and famous music was made with stock guitars. These feel like great sounding pickups that have made so much classic rock and yet can cover tons of ground for if you have just that one guitar.. My .01 as its prolly not worth 2 cents..

Leave a comment:

• Spirit of 76
    replied
    Originally posted by Securb View Post

They make a Les Paul sound like what you picture a Les Paul sounds like.
    Agreed!

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post

Awesome! Thank you!

Yeah, Artie and Lew know everything there is to know about tone, I swear. These guys are walking encyclopedias when it comes to what a pickup can do, then they can just mix and match magnets to achieve pretty much any tone they are seeking in their head. We love having you guys around here!
    Thanks . . . but Lew knows tone. I know wiring. Together, we get stuff done.

And Lew, I'm doing these mags into HB-101's. (The "Designed" series.) I hope they work out just as well.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 07-27-2020, 01:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied
    Originally posted by Spirit of 76 View Post
    For anyone going for a great 70s, classic rock sound, the Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbuckers are a great choice.
    I use them now with my classic rock cover band and they are great. However, I was using them with my post-hardcore metal band and they were amazing. Thick, chuggy, throaty, spleen-splitting heavy. They make a Les Paul sound like what you picture a Les Paul sounds like.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Aces
    replied

SnakeAces, looks like Guitar Center still has both the Nickle Covered and Black Uncovered in-stock (see link below). SD has been out of stock for a few months so not sure when they will have more.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour...-Pickup-Set.gc
    Awesome! Thank you!

Yeah, Artie and Lew know everything there is to know about tone, I swear. These guys are walking encyclopedias when it comes to what a pickup can do, then they can just mix and match magnets to achieve pretty much any tone they are seeking in their head. We love having you guys around here!

Leave a comment:

• Spirit of 76
    replied
    Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
    I love them too, in fact, I am about to begin ordering what will become my second guitar with a WLH set in them. Although, I am in no rush, the guitar will not be ready for several months. So, I do not need to order another set of WLH today... I do not think. Hopefully they are not too difficult to locate soon.
    SnakeAces, looks like Guitar Center still has both the Nickle Covered and Black Uncovered in-stock (see link below). SD has been out of stock for a few months so not sure when they will have more.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour...-Pickup-Set.gc

Leave a comment:

• Lewguitar
    replied
    Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Cool. I just got my roughcast A2/A3 set for my 59's, from AFX, that you recommended. I'll try these out, and go from there.

Thanks again Lew;
    Artie
    Sweet! The roughcast A2 in a 59B or Antiquity Bridge is my favorite and the most fun to play!

Roughcast A3 is my favorite magnet in a neck humbucker for clean tones. Doesn't do overdrive as well as a stronger magnet though.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

That's basically what I would expect them to be. An improved 59 set.
    Cool. I just got my roughcast A2/A3 set for my 59's, from AFX, that you recommended. I'll try these out, and go from there.

Thanks again Lew;
    Artie

Leave a comment:

• Snake Aces
    replied
    Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Mine are like an improved 59 set. Some mids filled in on the bridge, softer top end on the bridge, little more heat on the bridge (drives amps a little better, more range with the volume control), no boom on the neck, some chime in the middle position, both split well and combine when split well. Even gets Fendery with split and out of phase (like Dire Straits Sultans of Swing Fendery).
    Yes this is exactly what they sound like. And yes, the Fender-y tones are real. Very cool set of humbuckers. I would also add that they have a certain glassy smooth top end capability, very glassy when playing something such as The Thrill is Gone.

I love the WLH set. They truly shine with any kind of dirt, these pups love driving music with sex appeal. With that being said, don't ignore the clean tones either!

Leave a comment:

• Snake Aces
    replied
    Hopefully you can get a set, though when I got mine, I was specifically looking for Nickle Covered pickups and Guitar Center was the only place with a set. The uncovered might be easier to locate.

I really both pick ups, but for the neck, if you drop the tone down you can get a really nice nasally Clapton/Cream kinda sound for soloing.
    I wonder if I should order mine now! I do want a set without covers. I see they are out of stock at Duncan. I always prefer ordering them direct from Duncan if possible.

I do not need them for about 2 months... I hope SD is not discontinuing them...

I also love both the neck and the bridge. They have a wide range. I also have push-push volumes so I can operate in single coil mode too. They sound great in any mode.

Leave a comment:

• Lewguitar
    replied
    Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Mine are like an improved 59 set. Some mids filled in on the bridge, softer top end on the bridge, little more heat on the bridge (drives amps a little better, more range with the volume control), no boom on the neck, some chime in the middle position, both split well and combine when split well. Even gets Fendery with split and out of phase (like Dire Straits Sultans of Swing Fendery).
    That's basically what I would expect them to be. An improved 59 set.

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied
    Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    So, how would these compare to the classic old '59 set?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X