X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lewguitar
    replied
    Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    So, how would these compare to the classic old '59 set?
    Artie, the DCR of the WLH set is 8.2K and 8.78K and it uses roughcast Alnico 5 magnets.

My newish 59's measure 7.43K and 8.13K and came with polished Alnico 5 magnets.

I'm very familiar with Duncan 59's and have some sets from the 1980's that MJ wound. Those have a higher DCR than today's 59 set and mine came with ROUGHCAST Alnico 5 magnets stock.

I think polished A5 magnets might hold a stronger charge than roughcast, and polished A5 give a pickup a brighter sound than roughcast. I would anticipate the WLH set with roughcast A5 having a warmer more textured sound with stronger midrange, than today's 59 set.

8.2K is pretty high for a neck pickup but original PAF sets might have had a neck pickup wound with higher DCR than the bridge pickup or the same as the bridge pickup.

Or lower DCR like today's calibrated sets.

It was hit or miss in the 50's and I don't think Gibson made any attempt to calibrate PAFs for the neck and bridge positions.

Some did accidentally come with an A2 neck and A4 or A5 bridge. That would balance them a little bit.

But it was probably not intentional.

Last edited by Lewguitar; 07-27-2020, 10:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    So, how would these compare to the classic old '59 set?

Leave a comment:

• Spirit of 76
    replied
    Hopefully you can get a set, though when I got mine, I was specifically looking for Nickle Covered pickups and Guitar Center was the only place with a set. The uncovered might be easier to locate.

I really both pick ups, but for the neck, if you drop the tone down you can get a really nice nasally Clapton/Cream kinda sound for soloing.

Leave a comment:

• SAguitar
    replied
    What's not to like? Seymour knew what he was doing way back then, and still does.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Aces
    replied
    The bridge is special, the neck is underrated.

Leave a comment:

• piblock
    replied
    They sound intriguing. I've been swapping pickups like crazy lately. I'm thinking about getting a pair (or at least bridge model) for my SG.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Aces
    replied
    I love them too, in fact, I am about to begin ordering what will become my second guitar with a WLH set in them. Although, I am in no rush, the guitar will not be ready for several months. So, I do not need to order another set of WLH today... I do not think. Hopefully they are not too difficult to locate soon.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    I agree. They are a great set for those looking for a PAF-type, but a little hotter.

Leave a comment:

• Guitar Rod
    replied
    Glad you like them. I have a set of the original custom shop release and initially they were going to be the start of some pickup swapping, but they never got swapped.

Leave a comment:

• Spirit of 76
    started a topic Whole Lotta Humbuckers

Whole Lotta Humbuckers

For anyone going for a great 70s, classic rock sound, the Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbuckers are a great choice. They were designed just like the pickups Seymour Duncan worked on for Jimmy Paige in the 70s.

Initially these were a limited release just in the UK but now they are a normal production run.

I just has a set installed in an Epiphone Les Paul Classic (had to go with the covered nickel for the classic look) and they really sound great. The clean tone is excellent but I have also been testing them out on a clean channel with both a Boss Blues Driver and Big Muff Pi; I am getting some great sounds with both pedals.

Anyway, Guitar Center still has a few sets in stock (when I bought mine a few weeks ago, a lot of other places had them on back order or you could only get a single pickup and not a set).

Shop for the Seymour Duncan SH-18 Whole Lotta Humbucker Pickup Set - Nickel in Nickel and receive free shipping and guaranteed lowest price.
Working...
X