Potential replacement for SH-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential replacement for SH-5

So about a year ago I replaced the Burstbucker Pros in my Les Paul with Duncans. I put a Jazz in the neck and a Custom in the bridge. Both were a huge upgrade. I love the Jazz in the neck and the Custom almost gets me where I want to be. My issue is that I feel it has a touch too much mids and I want something a hair sweeter that will pair well with the Jazz. I’ve thought about just sticking an A5 in there and seeing what happens but everything I’ve read about the SH-14 is that it’s too scooped.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Re: Potential replacement for SH-5

You could try a magnet other than ceramic or A5 such as A8 or A6.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

There is a magnet not so scooped as an A5, but a tad warmer and fuller. Its the Unoriented A5.
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I would give the UOA5 or rough A5 a shot and see if they work. Worst case you're out $10 and eliminated those possibilities.

Comment

A5 would suck the mids right out. I think it sounds better than the ceramic to me.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

UOA5 was pretty good in my experience.

Comment

I agree. If you want some mids, but not all aggressive like ceramic or A8, try UOA5 or A6. They're similar, but A6 is oriented.
              Last edited by Clint 55; 07-03-2020, 07:22 PM.
              I bought them for you

Comment

Mag swap with any of a number of A5 magnets.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

There is no replacement for the SH-5. It is the perfect hi-output PAF pickup.

Comment

Ceramic sounds like I stuck my (edited) in a beehive.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                      Ceramic sounds like I stuck my (edited) in a beehive.
                      ROFL

Ceramic has no soul

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
                        ROFL

Ceramic has no soul
                        I was like you when i started swapping mags in 2005. Thru a trade i got a DD which was rotting in my drawer for the next 10 years until i got a guitar which did not sound right with Alnicos. Too loose, a bit whimpy and lacked beef. Even my C8 and a Alt8 lacked. The Custom and the DD helped a lot to give cut and beef. The same with a cheap basswood bass of a friend, it came alive with ceramic Jazz pickups.
                        Its a bit like garlic, some say it stinks. If you know how to use, it tastes delicious.
                        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Sounds like you want a Pearly Gates. I personally love the Custom/Jazz combo. It’s the right mix of chunk and warmth and works in warm and bright guitars. No it isn’t your vintage Burstbucker sound. If you wanted a step up from those, the PG set was it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            A5 would suck the mids right out. I think it sounds better than the ceramic to me.
                            Absolutely agreed that it would suck the mids right out. Whether or not that's a good thing is a matter of personal opinion / taste. I've tried the C5 in a few guitars and found it scooped, boomy, and shrill in all of them. Definitely would not recommend for someone looking for 'sweeter' than a stock Custom. Out of the suggestions here I'd probably try UOA5 first; A2 may also be an option, but the bass may be too loose for a Les Paul. That being said I love the CC in my Strat.
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Personally a huge fan of the Custom 5. I have it a pair of the Koa topped LTD EC1000s with them in the bridges and they secured it as my favorite 6 string pup. That said, the 7 string version does leave one wanting.

Comment

Working...
                              X