banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, I think the SD Sentient is *almost* the perfect neck PU for me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anficht
    replied
    Re: So, I think the SD Sentient is *almost* the perfect neck PU for me...

Originally posted by ericcomposer72 View Post
    This is interesting, as my current bridge pickup is a ceramic magnet (Dmz Dreamcatcher)

Does this significantly change the overall tone/feel/character of the pickup, other than addressing the main issue I was referring to?
    No, it still does sound very much like a Sentient. It just tightens up the mids, and makes the pickup a tad more present.
    For my taste, it was exactly what it needed to make a good pickup great! Try it, I think this is exactly what you need (plus it is easily reversible if you don't like it - but I think this is what you're lookin for)

Leave a comment:

• ericcomposer72
    replied

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    What are your thoughts on the Dream Catcher? I’m dying to try one....
    I love it. With that caveat that I had taken a hiatus from playing guitar for about 15 years, and the only recent pickups I've compared it to are: Dmz Evolution, Dmz Norton, Dmz Illuminator 7, Carvin C26 (7 string), this is what I think about it:

Really like the fact that the output isn't super-high. Very clear yet rich sounding, with a nice, crisp attack. Highs are very smooth, not piercing at all, yet the crunch for chords and bite on single notes is still there. Harmonics/overtones seem to beautifully jump off of it, depending on how you attack with the pick- very responsive. Very capable of producing "bell-like" overtones above the 12th fret

I'm mostly playing leads, but I was very impressed with it's crispness for rhythm, as well. I thought it did a pretty convincing Metallica MOP/AJFO rhythm "chug" when I scooped the mids & used the "deep V" EQ on my Mark III.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied

This is interesting, as my current bridge pickup is a ceramic magnet (Dmz Dreamcatcher)

Does this significantly change the overall tone/feel/character of the pickup, other than addressing the main issue I was referring to?
    What are your thoughts on the Dream Catcher? I’m dying to try one....

Leave a comment:

• ericcomposer72
    replied

Originally posted by Anficht View Post
    I solved this exact problem with a Ceramic magnet in my Sentient.

Leave a comment:

• Anficht
    replied

What I love: rich harmonic/overtones. So touch-responsive. For me, it is the absolute sweet-spot between vintage "openness" and modern "thickness." It sounds so liquid and lush through my Mesa Studio Preamp/Mark IIb/Mark III. Every change of pick attack/vibrato produces arrays of different beautiful colors.

Only one thing- there is a bit of a mids-y-ness that I find at times a bit unattractive. Like the pickup needs to blow its nose. Like the tone knob has been dialed back and can't be dialed back in. It only appears for certain notes, and can sometime be dialed out (i.e. covered up) in the amp/EQ by increasing treble/highs.

Now, I haven't play a lot of PAF-style pickups, but what I may be describing may be a characteristic of those types of pickups. It may also be a sound some people love.

FWIW, My style uses a pretty saturated high-gain lead sound, and the only thing that matters for me is the tone of single-note lead sounds.

I'm perfectly happy sticking with the PU, unless someone knows of a pickup that has an almost identical response/color, but without that mids-y thing.
    I solved this exact problem with a Ceramic magnet in my Sentient.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
    I need a tone control for my bridge pickup. I never use it on my neck pickup so I disconnected it. Now the neck pickup sounds clearer. For me, it was the right thing to do.
    Never thought to only wire one pickup to the tone....hmmmm

Leave a comment:

• Lewguitar
    replied

Seems to be just certain random notes, usually above the 12th fret.

Running the neck PU w/o a tone knob is really intriguing... I hadn't even considered it. Thanks!
    I need a tone control for my bridge pickup. I never use it on my neck pickup so I disconnected it. Now the neck pickup sounds clearer. For me, it was the right thing to do.

Leave a comment:

• nexion218
    replied

Originally posted by Nagisa View Post
    I would really, really suggest trying these things in order since you are nearly where you want it.
    2) capacitor change (or removal) - is it .022 right now? If it isn't, put in a .022. If it is, try removing it and seeing if it fixes your problem.

Scrolled through the thread earlier and kept thinking about it and I came back to propose the cap change, but you beat me to it!
    Last edited by nexion218; 07-05-2020, 01:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• freefrog
    replied

... and experimenting with cable capacitance, to come back to my hobby horse...

This advertising vid might give an idea of what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY-0k1zPehQ

Note that I'm not an Atlantic Audio fan. I've not even any of their products here (and I find some of their online explanations pretty close-minded). It's just that the video above shows in a few seconds how the sound of a passive pickup changes according to cable capacitance. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Nagisa
    replied

I would really, really suggest trying these things in order since you are nearly where you want it. No sense buying a NEW pickup only to find something new that isn't ideal for you.

1) pickup height / polepiece height. Lower those polepieces!
    2) capacitor change (or removal) - is it .022 right now? If it isn't, put in a .022. If it is, try removing it and seeing if it fixes your problem.
    3) No-load tone pot.
    4) Magnet swap
    Last edited by Nagisa; 07-05-2020, 12:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Yes, Jazz & Sentient both use A5. They are different winds. The Jazz has a little less mids, less bass, and slightly more treble.

Leave a comment:

• Sun King
    replied

By the way, Jazz and Sentient both use A5 mags.

Leave a comment:

• ericcomposer72
    replied

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    The Jazz is essentially the same with less mids, so there is that to try.
    I was curious about that. I actually have a Jazz 7 on the way for another guitar. Hopefully the 6 & 7 are pretty similar so I can get an idea and compare.

Leave a comment:

• Sun King
    replied

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    Are they a mag swap apart from each other or is there more to the formula?
    Well since you brought that up, you might try it. I wasn't sold on the Sentient at first, but personally I like it better now with an A2 magnet. Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    The Jazz is essentially the same with less mids, so there is that to try.
    Are they a mag swap apart from each other or is there more to the formula?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X