Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another JB thread....

I have a JB in my Ibanez RG 565.

I recently put an UOA5 in it. I find it to be an improvement in the regular A5 but I still feel it is lacking....

I have a Custom (SH-5) in my LP which absolutely slays in that guitar. It has an amazing chunky yet tight low end that I love.

And that is what I feel the Ibanez is lacking....the low end. Now I know the JB is not known for its low end. I like everything else I get from the JB though. The output is huge and the Ibanez sounds like itís going to rip through the speakers. The UOA5 has smoothed out the mids like I hoped it would. Itís just the lacking low end.

My question is:
    Would a mag swap like an A8 or A2 help in any way here? Or do I just need to be using a different pickup?
    Maybe a Custom Custom?
    I also have a BKP Rebel Yell on hand that I bet would sound great. Only thing is that it is a Standard spaced pickup....which probably would still work just fine anyway..
    Thoughts?

Also looking for recommendations for a Stratty neck pickup preferably noiseless.
    It currently has a Hot Rails in it. Which is good but not really Stratty.

Thanks.

Another JB thread....

Mods.... I misspelled ďJBĒ in the title of the thread and canít seem to correct it.
    Any possibility of correcting it for me?
    Thanks

Edit:
    Thanks for the fix!!
    Last edited by Gtrjunior; 07-14-2020, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Re: Another IB thread....

Duncan Distortion has low end the JB doesn't, IME

Comment

A8 would be my suggestion here, assuming you stick with the JB wind. Alternatively, if you happen to have a double-thick Ceramic, that would put you into Distortion territory

Seeing that you have a Rebel Yell on hand, I'd rip that JB out and try it first! The difference in spacing won't have any noticeable effect on the tone or performance.

I think going with something like a Custom Custom is moving a bit far in the opposite direction.

As for a noiseless "Stratty" neck pickup, there are some very solid options now. Fender's newest gen noiseless pickups are really great, better than anything they made in the past, and Kinmans are a no-brainer if you can afford them. If you're pairing a neck single with the JB or similar, you'll probably want something a bit hotter than pure vintage. Take a look at the DiMarzio Area 61 and Injector neck models. Andy Timmons also manages a semi-stratty neck tone with a Cruiser Bridge model in the neck. The Duncan stacks are also great!

Comment

Re: Another JB thread....

ive never felt like the ibanez rg line had a strong bottom, at least not the ones ive owned. a8 might work for you, but itll be more aggressive than what you have now by a fair amount. a custom custom doesnt have much bottom but does have lovely low mids. the classic stack plus models are very stratty

Comment

A8 or A2 would add a lot of bass to the JB compared to A5 or UOA5. A8 would be more aggressive, obviously.

(Or I could make you some double thick mags! Lol!)
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
              A8 or A2 would add a lot of bass to the JB compared to A5 or UOA5. A8 would be more aggressive, obviously.

That thought has already crossed my mind!!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                ive never felt like the ibanez rg line had a strong bottom, at least not the ones ive owned. a8 might work for you, but itll be more aggressive than what you have now by a fair amount. a custom custom doesnt have much bottom but does have lovely low mids. the classic stack plus models are very stratty
                The only example I can think of where an RG (I assume) has good low end is the guy from Firehouseís tone. Heís got a really full, thick tone. I have no idea what pickups he uses.

https://youtu.be/caVQoAs9J1s

Comment

Iíve also been listening to some YouTube clips of the classic stack. I think it sounds great.
                  Any reason anybody thinks it might not match output l-wise with a JB (A8 or double ceramic) or a Rebel Yell?

https://youtu.be/DD9qXquCut0

https://youtu.be/ftV9zUXSWoY

Comment

Ok...talk to me about whatís involved with making a double thick mag.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                      Duncan Distortion has low end the JB doesn't, IME
                      I hadnít thought about this pickup. Iím looking into it. Thx

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                        Ok...talk to me about what’s involved with making a double thick mag.
                        Epox 2 mags together and magnetize it as a full magnet.

The full description:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...e-thick-mag-op
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                          The only example I can think of where an RG (I assume) has good low end is the guy from Firehouseís tone. Heís got a really full, thick tone. I have no idea what pickups he uses.

https://youtu.be/caVQoAs9J1s
                          I looked on his site one time. I remember a PG and A2P being mentioned in one of his custom guitars.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
                          Formerly known as TheViewFromVenus.

Comment

Originally posted by TheViewFromVenus View Post
                            I looked on his site one time. I remember a PG and A2P being mentioned in one of his custom guitars.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
                            Iíll investigate further.....thanks

Comment

Epox 2 mags together and magnetize it as a full magnet.

The full description:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...e-thick-mag-op
                              How does it affect the thickness of the pickup Once the mag is installed?

Comment

Working...
                              X