Another JB thread....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another JB thread....

It's an 1/8 inch thicker so long legs and covers don't work but everything else does.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I've always wanted to try adding ceramic spacer magnets to a UOA5 JB. I bet that would increase the low end.

Comment

When are you actually going to try it? You've been posting about it for years lol!
        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          ive never felt like the ibanez rg line had a strong bottom, at least not the ones ive owned. a8 might work for you, but itll be more aggressive than what you have now by a fair amount. a custom custom doesnt have much bottom but does have lovely low mids. the classic stack plus models are very stratty
          I agree. Those Ibanez models always seem to lack something in the low end and seem to lack a bit of sustain. Kind of spongey.

I don't think the Custom Custom would be an improvement over the JB in this situation.

Isn't the Duncan Distortion pretty much a JB with a ceramic magnet? Might be worth a try.

Really though, I think there's a good chance it's the guitar, not the pickups, and a perfect solution may not be possible..
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

A JB has a sound that even magnet swaps don't really change. I'd go for a Custom Custom, which no one would mistake for a JB. For the noiseless Stratty neck pickup, the Classic Stack is your best bet, but with 24 frets, you can't really get a true Strat thing happening.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Have you thought about a DiMarzio Tone Zone? They sound huge in the bridge position of an RG, but it's been a while so I can't remember exactly how tight the bass was.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

There’s a place in the uk that has double thick A5 and a8 magnets. Their not cheap though, https://www.axesrus.co.uk/Humbucker-...109bars-os.htm

I would recommend an Alt 8, it’s like a thicker fuller JB.

or maybe a tone zone, is another good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                  When are you actually going to try it? You've been posting about it for years lol!
                  In the fullness of time, of course.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by allstarrme View Post
                    There’s a place in the uk that has double thick A5 and a8 magnets.
                    There's a place in the US that has double thick mags - me. :P
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                      It's an 1/8 inch thicker so long legs and covers don't work but everything else does.
                      And I’d need a thicker spacer too?

Comment

Another JB thread....

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                        Have you thought about a DiMarzio Tone Zone? They sound huge in the bridge position of an RG, but it's been a while so I can't remember exactly how tight the bass was.
                        You know , I hadn’t thought of that.
                        I have a Super Distortion on hand too. Maybe that gets a shot as well
                        Last edited by Gtrjunior; 07-15-2020, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Another JB thread....

Originally posted by TheViewFromVenus View Post
                          I looked on his site one time. I remember a PG and A2P being mentioned in one of his custom guitars.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
                          I just looked at his site as well.
                          The PG/AN set is what he is using with some custom made guitars he is playing now.
                          I couldn’t find any info on his early pickup selection. [emoji19]

Comment

Re: Another IB thread....

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                            A8 would be my suggestion here, assuming you stick with the JB wind. Alternatively, if you happen to have a double-thick Ceramic, that would put you into Distortion territory

Seeing that you have a Rebel Yell on hand, I'd rip that JB out and try it first! The difference in spacing won't have any noticeable effect on the tone or performance.

I think going with something like a Custom Custom is moving a bit far in the opposite direction.

As for a noiseless "Stratty" neck pickup, there are some very solid options now. Fender's newest gen noiseless pickups are really great, better than anything they made in the past, and Kinmans are a no-brainer if you can afford them. If you're pairing a neck single with the JB or similar, you'll probably want something a bit hotter than pure vintage. Take a look at the DiMarzio Area 61 and Injector neck models. Andy Timmons also manages a semi-stratty neck tone with a Cruiser Bridge model in the neck. The Duncan stacks are also great!
                            Last night I got out the RY....long leg baseplate....bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                              And I’d need a thicker spacer too?
                              You just use 2 spacers on the side without the lead and 1 extra spacer on the side with the lead.
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Ok.... This JB with a ceramic mag sounds HUGE.
                                I realize that he is tuned to drop something-or-other but still. Listen to the low end thump.

Needless to say, I ordered a ceramic mag as well as an A8.

Comment

Working...
                                X