• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another JB thread....

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    You know , I hadn’t thought of that.
    I have a Super Distortion on hand too. Maybe that gets a shot as well
    By all means go for it!

RG's typically aren't designed for huge low end but the Tone Zone was designed specifically to compensate for this and so was the Breed. Petrucci fans used to pick the Tone Zone, Vai fans used to pick the latter. I reckon the Super Distortion should give you similar response in the low and top ends (the Dimarzio sound) but the midrange would be the most different among the 3. Besides, all the low end in the world won't help you much if you don't get the midrange right.

IME it's easier to match a Dimarzio to an RG rather than pick the right Duncan, even if saying that means I owe a hug to some heartbroken fans.

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
      By all means go for it!

RG's typically aren't designed for huge low end but the Tone Zone was designed specifically to compensate for this and so was the Breed. Petrucci fans used to pick the Tone Zone, Vai fans used to pick the latter. I reckon the Super Distortion should give you similar response in the low and top ends (the Dimarzio sound) but the midrange would be the most different among the 3. Besides, all the low end in the world won't help you much if you don't get the midrange right.

IME it's easier to match a Dimarzio to an RG rather than pick the right Duncan, even if saying that means I owe a hug to some heartbroken fans.
      I’m an RG-main player. I feel the mahogany/maple capped RGs have plenty of low-end and basswood has less.
      I don’t like basswood much personally but it can work.

TZ has tons of low end. Start with that.

BTW I really like the Dreamcatcher bridge. If the TZ doesn’t look good to you, check it out. Low end is perfect for me but it is not a bitey pickup like the DD. It’s thick and rich, but is not sharp. Best for leads and higher notes. TZ is too, really.

DD if you want rhythm riffage. Or I hear the Black Winter is good too...

Comment

First thing I’m going to do a mag swap. I’ll reassess after that.
        I like how the pickup/guitar sounds just wish it had a little more low end push.
        I have a Custom in my LP and it sounds amazing.
        I know an RG isn’t going to do what the LP does, and I don’t expect it to. I’m just looking for a little more from the Ibanez.
        And if I’m being honest, a lot of it is me being anal about it. Lol

Comment

Definitely let us know what you think after the mag-swap(s)!

Comment

Absolutely!!
            The magnet looks like it will be delivered tomorrow.
            Unless band practice gets cancelled again, I’ll have a chance to play the Ibanez tonight in a band setting. I’m betting that it will sound very good in a mix.
            But after I swap I’ll try again at next rehearsal and see what differences it makes.

Comment

....and practice just got canceled again. 2 weeks in a row.

Comment

Stick with the Custom for the tightness and fat bottom and get a good lead boost pedal that does the JB lead thing. Or have fun with some active circuit in the guitar. The only thing the Custom really lacks IMO is the lead sound is slightly thin on its own.
                I have gone back and forward with those 2 pickups many times and although the JB8 is really cool, it still lacked bottom end punch IMO. It's all a matter of preference. I do know this, the PAF on steriod sound I never grow tired of but the JB sound can get a little fatigueing at times.

Comment

Another JB thread....

Originally posted by Nightburst View Post
                  Stick with the Custom for the tightness and fat bottom and get a good lead boost pedal that does the JB lead thing. Or have fun with some active circuit in the guitar. The only thing the Custom really lacks IMO is the lead sound is slightly thin on its own.
                  I have gone back and forward with those 2 pickups many times and although the JB8 is really cool, it still lacked bottom end punch IMO. It's all a matter of preference. I do know this, the PAF on steriod sound I never grow tired of but the JB sound can get a little fatigueing at times.
                  Yes, I agree with you. The JB sings like no other pickup but the Custom in my LP isn’t going anywhere.

I got the ceramic and A8 magnets in the other day, but I also just bought a Dimarzio Breed bridge pickup which is scheduled to arrive Monday....I think the first thing I’m going to do is pop the Breed in there.
                  It was recommended here in this thread and I came a cross a used one at a good price so I figured why not.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                    I’ve also been listening to some YouTube clips of the classic stack. I think it sounds great.
                    Any reason anybody thinks it might not match output l-wise with a JB (A8 or double ceramic) or a Rebel Yell?

https://youtu.be/ftV9zUXSWoY
                    The neck Classic Stack is probably the closest in output to a JB while still sounding like a Strat pickup. It is not as powerful, no, but it is louder than something like an SSL-1. You can get louder single coils, but they stop sounding like a classic Strat pickup. Highly recommended.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      The neck Classic Stack is probably the closest in output to a JB while still sounding like a Strat pickup. It is not as powerful, no, but it is louder than something like an SSL-1. You can get louder single coils, but they stop sounding like a classic Strat pickup. Highly recommended.
                      That’s next on my list. I’ll be looking for a used one.

Comment

Ok so the Breed pickup was delivered today and sure as sh*t, I popped it in there.
                        It has much bigger low end compared to the JB and it sounds great. Nice and thick.
                        It doesn’t quite “sing” like the JB but I feel like it’s more versatile in this guitar.
                        I’ll keep it in for a while and see how it goes. So far so good.

Now I just need to find a used Classic Stack.

Comment

I used the Breed at rehearsal last week. Sounded good. Less present than the JB and not as easy get pinch harmonics with. Its definitely a fat pickup. I'm wondering what a ceramic magnet might do to it? Thoughts?

Comment

I think a roughcast A8 works well regarding the low end and does something to the mids which works really well. I think the roughcast takes the edge off compared to the polished. I think it is a much different pickup with a Roughcast A8.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie_Snow View Post
                              I think a roughcast A8 works well regarding the low end and does something to the mids which works really well. I think the roughcast takes the edge off compared to the polished. I think it is a much different pickup with a Roughcast A8.
                              Are you talking about an A8 in the JB or Breed?
                              And where do you get the RC A8? I have a seller for A8 but I believe only for polished A8.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

I agree. Those Ibanez models always seem to lack something in the low end and seem to lack a bit of sustain. Kind of spongey.

I don't think the Custom Custom would be an improvement over the JB in this situation.

Isn't the Duncan Distortion pretty much a JB with a ceramic magnet? Might be worth a try.

Really though, I think there's a good chance it's the guitar, not the pickups, and a perfect solution may not be possible..
                                Maybe true of maple neck bolt-on basswood guitars in general. Or just bolt on imports with whatever wood.

I've been in the Dimarzio camp since the beginning, and my impression is that the dimarzios generally are thicker and have more bass. Every time I've tried a Duncan, it sounded trebly and thin compared to equivalent Dimarzio. I think Duncan designs pickups that assume a nice resonant guitar, which isn't always the case.

If you haven't sorted this guitar and want something along the lines of a JB with more bass, try a Dimarzio Norton. The Norton sounds huge. A Tone Zone is the usual recommendation, but that has too much bass imo.

Comment

Working...
                                X