Keith Richards Micawber question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keith Richards Micawber question

I'm building a Tele and want the Keith Richards Micawber tone but also more...Is it possible to get the Micawber blended tone with a 4 or 5 way switch and have more tone options? Which pick ups would pair up the best? Thinking Broadcaster Tele (bridge) with a '59 bridge in the neck position.

Re: Keith Richards Micawber question

welcome to the forum!

broadcaster is cool for the bridge. why a 59b in the neck?

Comment

You're talking about his '53 Tele that's been heavily modified?

Keith is supposed to have used a 50's Gibson paf for the neck pickup but reversed so the pole's aim towards the bridge.

But is it an Alnico 2, Alnico 3, Alnico 4 or Alnico 5 50's paf? They all sound different.

The bridge pickup is said to be either a real Broadcaster pickup or a 50's Fender lap steel pickup, and supposedly it is a HOT one.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

So if I were going to do this I'd use a Duncan Antiquity for the neck humbucker.

And an Alnico 2 53 Hot Tele pickup for the bridge. That pickup has a 9.3K DCR and is a Custom Shop pickup.

Actually, both are wound in the Custom Shop.

Comment

Going for Keith's Micawber Tele. He has a pedal steel PU in the bridge and a PAF, reversed, at the neck. Trying to find a pair that will match up in output.

Comment

Yep, I read he started with a Broadcaster PU but it was later changed to a lap steel PU. No clue on the humbucker, all the articles only say a PAF. The wiring question is my main query.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              welcome to the forum!

broadcaster is cool for the bridge. why a 59b in the neck?
              Thanks for the welcome! I'm going for Keith's Micawber Tele. He has a pedal steel PU in the bridge and a PAF, reversed, at the neck. Trying to find a pair that will match up in output.

Comment

Keith was my favorite guitarist when I was in high school and learning to play

Some say that to nail the tone he gets with that Tele you need a blend control to add the neck pickup to bridge pickup.

Keith plays a lot of rhythm with the pickup selector switch set for the bridge pickup.

Some say one of the knobs on his Tele blends the neck pickup into the bridge pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                  So if I were going to do this I'd use a Duncan Antiquity for the neck humbucker.

And an Alnico 2 53 Hot Tele pickup for the bridge. That pickup has a 9.3K DCR and is a Custom Shop pickup.

When I was contemplating a Micawber, these were the pickups I was planning on using.

Interesting thought on a blend instead of a tone control.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Here's a Broadcaster diagram with a blending pot:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the input. Do you have any suggestions for the wiring? I wanted more options than the Broadcaster Blend wiring, if that's possible

Comment

Here's a Broadcaster diagram with a blending pot:
                        Thanks, already have that one to consider.

Comment

id use a 59n over the 59b, the 59b is a little higher output which will make it harder to balance outputwise and darker which will give an even more drastic tonal change than what is already going to be a significant difference. broadcaster bridge and 59n would be a better match. the seth or antiquity are good suggestions too, but get the neck versions for the same reason as i mentioned earlier. the pup lew mentions is a great pup for sure, love mine!, but it comes with a custom shop price. they are usually tapped which means you can use a 5 way switch and get:

1- tapped bridge
                          2- tapped bridge + neck
                          3- neck
                          4- full bridge + neck
                          5- full bridge

if you used a push/pull pot you could split the neck pup or put it in parallel

Comment

I don't know that I'd be happy without a tone control. I like to go the bridge pickup on my Tele and turn it up but with the tone control turned down for kind of a cocked wah wah effect.

But there is a preset on 50's and 60's Telecasters with a capacitor to ground for a very dark muffled sound.

THAT capacitor could be changed to a smaller value or replaced by a resistor and capacitor to dial in your personal sweet spot if you like to roll down the tone control to create more of a wah wah sound.

The Eldred Mod is supposed to do that.

I've been thinking of wiring my Esquire with a setting that matches where I like to set the tone control.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Lewguitar; 07-16-2020, 11:10 AM.

Comment

i have my esquire wired that way. i think i used a .01 cap for the dark setting but cant recall, its still pretty dark, but with overdrive it sounds cool. a smaller value like the .0047 in the pic above might be a better choice. i too wouldnt want to give up my tone control

Comment

Working...
                              X