X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Keith Richards Micawber question

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
    Here's a Broadcaster diagram with a blending pot:
    If you end up using the third position on this wiring, you should probably fiddle around with the 15k resistor. That value was chosen to work with a Tele neck pickup to prevent boominess and match output with the other neck position. 15k probably won't be optimal for a 59 regardless of if you use the neck or bridge model.

As far as wiring goes, the most versatile wiring I've found for an HS Tele is as follows:

3 - Neck
    2 - Bridge w/neck blend
    1 - Bridge w/cocked wah cap

Now this wiring doesn't have a tone control, but I don't find that to be too much of an issue with the Broadcaster pickup. Another option for position 3 is that you can add a larger cap, maybe a .1uf, in series with the pickup signal so that the cocked-wah sound is more distinct from the bridge alone position. The cocked-wah mod by itself is fairly subtle, so I generally do it in tandem with something else.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I think the blend pot is a must for copping Keith's sound.

But before I made my tone control and into a blend control I'd find that sweet spot I like with the tone control rolled down, disconnect the pot and measure it to see what it's set to, find a resistor that matches that value, and create a resistor/capacitor network for the #1 switch setting.

Then I'd put a blend pot in it and fire it up.
      Last edited by Lewguitar; 07-16-2020, 01:48 PM.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I would go with a broadcaster bridge and a Seth Lover or Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF neck. Or a JD bridge with a Pearly Gates neck.

Comment

The Custom Shop makes an Antiquity pedal steel pickup. 8.18k

Once upon a time, I found a way to have all the 50's options

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            id use a 59n over the 59b, the 59b is a little higher output which will make it harder to balance outputwise and darker which will give an even more drastic tonal change than what is already going to be a significant difference. broadcaster bridge and 59n would be a better match. the seth or antiquity are good suggestions too, but get the neck versions for the same reason as i mentioned earlier. the pup lew mentions is a great pup for sure, love mine!, but it comes with a custom shop price. they are usually tapped which means you can use a 5 way switch and get:

1- tapped bridge
            2- tapped bridge + neck
            3- neck
            4- full bridge + neck
            5- full bridge

if you used a push/pull pot you could split the neck pup or put it in parallel
            OK, now I'm getting some answers on the wiring. Thanks

Comment

I think the blend pot is a must for copping Keith's sound.

But before I made my tone control and into a blend control I'd find that sweet spot I like with the tone control rolled down, disconnect the pot and measure it to see what it's set to, find a resistor that matches that value, and create a resistor/capacitor network for the #1 switch setting.

Then I'd put a blend pot in it and fire it up.
              Good advice!

Comment

Ugh another of these threads. I've been studying and dissecting Keith's tone and playing for the better part of 20 years. I also play in a Stones tribute. There's no evidence whatsoever that Keith has any sort of blended wiring scheme going on in Micawber. The only reason this has become a popular internet rumor is because people need to find ways to justify why every live shot of Keith has the pickup selector switch on the bridge pickup only. Now, if you have an early 50's Broadcaster style pickup and you simply roll the tone control knob back a bit then you will discover there's the Keith tone right there. Now, in the studio that's anyone's guess. Fact is that in the early days of his open-G tuning he was playing all kinds of guitars in 5-string mode. If you watch "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Rolling Stones" I'm pretty sure he's even playing a Strat in open G on Brown Sugar.

NOT TO MENTION that Keith has rotated through probably a dozen or more Telecasters in open G in the last 30 years. Yes, he plays Micawber on certain songs, but there's also Malcolm, Sunny, George, and a number of others. Half of them don't have a humbucker in the neck and that pickup switch is always on the bridge and his tone still sounds exactly the same as when he's got Micawber on.

I've got the Rolling Stones Gear book and it's got detailed photos and explanation on Micawber. Bridge pickup is an early 50's Fender lap steel pickup (which is why you only see two screws holding it in). Neck is a Gibson PAF.
                Last edited by Powdered Toast Man; 07-19-2020, 09:50 AM.
                -
                My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

My guess is that if Keith himself ever had replicas of his pickups built, he'd ask MJ to do it. So I'd go to her for the whole thing. You can certainly find production pickups that will be close, too...discussed above.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I had Don Mare do up one of his 0038 "Keefer" 10K winds and it's fantastic. Nails that Keith bridge tone.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
                      I had Don Mare do up one of his 0038 "Keefer" 10K winds and it's fantastic. Nails that Keith bridge tone.
                      Did you have it wound as a three mounting screw Tele pickup or two screw Lap Steel pickup?
                      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Did you have it wound as a three mounting screw Tele pickup or two screw Lap Steel pickup?
                        I got the three screw option. Although maybe it's the lack of third screw that's the secret to his tone... lol

Here's what it sounds like:

Last edited by Powdered Toast Man; 07-19-2020, 12:01 PM.
                        -

Comment

Working...
                        X