STRAT P/U CHOICE,,,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STRAT P/U CHOICE,,,

Hope everyone's well,, I've been mainly a Duncan user in my strat, one pickguard with all Antiquity Surfers, another with SD Texas Hots, & a few with SD SSL2 SC's in middle & neck & a Little59 or Little78 in the bridge. All very fine sounding, but I really want a sound like the one in this clip,, guy's playing a set of Fender 57/62's, complaining about something, but I LOVE IT,,, He's only using what looks like the #2 position....through a TopHat amp ...

There's too many pickup choices in this world, and not enough years left, so kindly give me some good endorsements on these, or lead me to another that's even better, if there is. I've never owned a set of 5 or 6k pups..... I typically don't always play THAT clean, but I would do so more w/that sound, and I like a pup that can cut through when O'driven,,, FWIW, my amps are Budda TwinMaster, Morgan AC20 Deluxe, Vox AC30 1x12 model, & a Mesa DC3,,, But, I can't imagine anything that could better that exact sound, fingers & amps aside, but maybe they simply ARE that good!! Anything noiseless will never really get you there, right? Thanks in advance for all the advice!
    peace & be well~~

There's also this, on the neck pup..

Re: STRAT P/U CHOICE,,,

I'm hearing a lot of amp in those clips. If your amps don't get that clean, try putting a lower gain preamp tube in V1.

Most of the pickups you have (Surfers, SSLs) should be able to get that sound in the right body Strat. I have a 1966 Strat, a 62 RI and a MIM Strat, and I've moved pickups between them (Antiquities, Fender '68/Festival pickups, etc.) and each Strat imparts a partial signature of it's own on top of the variance of the pickups. For example, the MIM sounds very live acoustically and somewhat dark/midrangy plugged in, no matter which pickups I put in. The 66 Strat is heavy in weight with lots of sustain and bright liveliness plugged in, but quiet and thin sounding acoustically.

The other option is putting in higher value pots, and/or having an option to bypass the tone controls (like a pushpull on the tones).

Comment

the tone in those clips is a lot of amp like beau said and the two are fairly different to my ears. a good strat with a set of ssl2 pups into a good bf fendery amp with 6l6s should get you there. if you have a surfer loaded strat you should be able to dial in something close to that tone with a super reverb or something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by zozoe View Post
        He's only using what looks like the #2 position....through a TopHat amp ...

https://youtu.be/eO1yb2tcfKU
        Looks like #4 (neck + middle) to me.

Your "Surfers" should do it with the right amp.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
        X