banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson GEM active pickup wiring and specs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson GEM active pickup wiring and specs.

Hello guys, I managed to get a pair of these and I like them a lot.
    When I tried to find more info on the pickups and the correct way of wiring (how they are intended to be wired at least) I could not find much info to my surprise.
    I love Gibson guitars and I hope they found the way back into being great again but they weren't very helpful when I asked them for wiring schematics. Told me they were unavailable and I should go to a luthier... Hmm okay

Anyway, I managed to get them working using generic active schematics and pictures of gibson wiring harnesses on ebay but I do get this weird buzz when paying at home. Live with the band they sound fine and don't have this buzzing going on in the background. I am not sure if the ground wire should be connected to bridge on these? I know with EMGs for example you disconnect the ground to the bridge but for these I am not 100% sure if the preamp inside the pickups works the same.
    They are kind of unusually specced which adds to my confusion:

A2 magnets
    Double slug configuration
    There is a circuitboard mounted on the bottom
    They work with traditional 500k pots (most actie pickups use 25k)

I always thought that specs like this would be great for blues and old school type of rock but the tracking is amazing especially on fast note runs making them great for metal actually.

Anyone here has some more info on how these work, who made them and how to wire them?

Re: Gibson GEM active pickup wiring and specs.

Bump, even here it seems no one knows They must be really obscure pickups then...

Comment

i know they exist but thats about it, sorry i cant be more help

Comment

Thanks Jeremy, I guess people don't really care for these or haven't been able to try them since they come stock in only certain Gibson models.

Comment

Working...
        X