Pickups compatible with strat vintage strings spacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups compatible with strat vintage strings spacing

I have a custom made stratocaster with vintage bridge (strings spacing 2-7/32'') which has wider strings spacing than modern bridges. The pickups are strat-sized lipsticks and the problem is that they sound definitely weaker on the two external strings (low E, high e). I suspect that, given the wider strings spacing due to the vintage bridge, those strat-size lipstciks cannot pick the strings vibration enough because they are not long enough.

Where can I find strat single coils (not necessarily lipsticks) compatible with vintage bridge strings spacing?

Re: Pickups compatible with strat vintage strings spacing

Most any single should be fine
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Is there such thing as single coils specifically designed for vintage strings spacing? Or they are just all the same?

Comment

Some makers like David Allen do different spacings, but the classic Fender spacing (which 99% of pickups follow) has worked for 65 years. I acknowledge that appeal to tradition is a logical fallacy, but if it really was an issue someone would have addressed it years ago like they did with the Trembucker/F-Spaced Humbucker.

I personally own 4 SSS Strats including two with vintage style bridges and don’t have any issues.

Also, I want to point out that a lot of people misunderstand the way a pickup works. The coil of wire that extends far beyond the last string is what is picking up the string vibration. The pole pieces are magnetizing the strings. Obviously a more magnetized string will have more signal to pickup, but as long at the magnet can do its job it’s fine.

I wonder if the Custom Shop could build an “extra wide” lipstick.
        Last edited by PFDarkside; 07-18-2020, 09:32 AM.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

You could always go for something with 1 rail across, like a Hot Stack. I am also sure the Custom Shop could build a pickup with a rail with a more vintage voice to it, too.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
          X