banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seymour Duncan Distortion for 80's hard rock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
    Late to the party, but the Distortion and Jb as said are both great for 80s metal. The Super D is a good choice too, but IMO, I think of it of it as more of a 70s pup. Ace Frehley used it, IIRC Tom Sholtz of Boston,, etc. Not that it isnt a great all rounder, but thats what comes to my lil mind. Ive only ever used one in a LP type guitar and never a super strat, so that may open a door others can prolly answer better there.

Thanks! I would love to try the Super D. If I every got an RG550 or modded my old Les Paul, super D is my first choice to try.

Originally posted by deathbytinnitus View Post

Well, its going to sound odd but to me the super D was not as aggressive it was a smoother creamier pickup. The JB is weird because its like Mid output I think but it is still like really heavy sounding but, I feel like its a BIT too familiar, the Distortion had this hateful tone this midrange going for it and it was really aggressive but NOT like an Invader or something. Hope that helps lol. It just has its own character.
    Thanks! That definitely helps. I finally have both with me to try out now and I definitely notice a distinct difference between the JB and Distortion. I can dial them in two sound similar to each other but I can’t exactly replicate the JB tone with the Distortion or vice versa. I might need to play with an EQ pedal.

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    I don't find that the Dist. and JB sound similar. I've got a bunch of both pups in several different types of guitars and have tried every kind of magnet in all of them.
    Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

The JB has an interesting sound that is very recognizable and has been a very popular pup. If you like that nasally upper mid hump of the JB you'll be happy with it. I tried everything I could think of to get rid of that unique sound (different guitars, different magnets, different amps, different speakers, etc) but couldn't. It always sounded like a JB, no matter what I did, and that's why I can't think of it as a very versatile pup.

The Distortion, however, sounds very different with an A2, A5, A8, or the stock ceramic, and can take on dramatically different flavors of tone with not just the one recognizable footprint like the JB.

For the most versatility and the ability to reproduce all of the tones the OP wants, my vote would go to the Custom though. BUT...he admits that he can't even change pups without a tech, so forget about even suggesting mag swaps. So my advice to the OP is:

Get the guitar with the Distortion pups. Don't worry about changing pups or mags. That guitar with that pup will do what he wants if he's got the chops to do it.
    Thank you! I am glad I’m not crazy in hearing the difference as well. I got to try both JB and Distortion now and spend time comparing them side by side. I genuinely enjoy both for what they are, though I definitely preferred that nasally upper mid hump of the JB for the tones I'm going for. I felt like the JB just nailed those 80’s gain tones I mentioned.

BUT, the distortion is amazing in it’s own right, I liked the cleans more and the gain sounds were awesome when I wanted to play heavier stuff.

And YES you’re right, I hope to learn to change pickups and solder when I have some more free time but it’s not happening anytime soon. So whatever pickups come stock, that’s what I’m keeping for the foreseeable future.

I am definitely keeping my Charvel/Duncan Distortions and from your post it seems that will cover all I need. Question is should I keep the JB equipped Kramer also. The Distortion is way more versatile and I’ve been able to dial it in to be similar to the JB in the Kramer but I can’t get the Distortions to replicate that mid hump sound exactly. If an EQ pedal and some more amp tweaking will do it, I’ll return the Kramer/JB and save the money.

I hope I have the chops haha, still practicing but def motivated to play.

Comment

Working...
    X