Wiring advice-2 hums 5 way switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring advice-2 hums 5 way switch?

Hey all, I am hoping someone here can help me figure out this wiring.

I have an Ibanez SCA 220 that I am looking to do a specific wiring. The neck will be the stock Ibanez pup (it sounds fine enough for me) and the bridge will be SD Distortion, which is replacing a Tone Zone that’s been in there for 12 or so years.

The current wiring with the 5 way switch is

1-full Bridge
    2-single coil of bridge & neck
    3-neck & Bridge full
    4-same as 2 either inner or outer coils
    5-full neck.

This is a cool wiring scheme but I want a little different. I would like to do this:

1-full Bridge
    2-single coil Bridge
    3-single from Bridge & neck closest sound to position 2 on a strat
    4-single coil Bridge
    5-full neck.

While the original wiring is cool, it lacks access to just single coil tones for me.

I don’t want to use a push/pull pot if I don’t have to, Will this require a “super switch”? I don’t even know what that is but seems like someone has said that.

If anyone can help me get this figured out I would be super appreciative!

Thanks all!!!

Hi stm113,

Yes, some type of superswitch will be required but the good news is that the current switch must be a superswitch to be yielding those current pickup combinations. Can you open up the control cavity, take some pics and post them back here so we can try to determine what model of superswitch is in there? The model of switch will determine how the diagram needs to be drawn.

Also, please take and post back some pics of the Neck pickups wire colors and where they currently connect on that switch.

With that info, I can make a diagram of what you want - probably based on some mods to this Seymour Duncan wiring diagram (see attached).

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

You want positions 2 and 4 to be redundant?

If you have a Strat type super switch, might I suggest mincer's "do-it-all" wiring.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Another option is just a standard 3 way switch, with a master coil split switch (I use an S1 switch).
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

If you have a Strat type super switch, might I suggest mincer's "do-it-all" wiring.
          I going with the assumption that he made a typo for Position 4, and really meant to to write that he wants the Neck humbucker coilsplit.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

The OP said he wants two of the positions to have standalone coilsplits. Mincer's wiring scheme only provides two coilsplit pickups combined in parallel.

Mincer's also requires the magnet to be flipped in one pickup. Its easier to wire one of the humbuckers differently than do the flip.
            Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 07-28-2020, 11:24 AM.

Comment

My scheme wants to keep everything hum-cancelling, while having those specific coils on in those specific positions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Another option is just a standard 3 way switch, with a master coil split switch (I use an S1 switch).
                This is the best setup imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

This is the best setup imo.
                  This is becoming my favorite, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    My scheme wants to keep everything hum-cancelling, while having those specific coils on in those specific positions.
                    That's already understood about your scheme. My point was that the OP specifically said he wants standalone coilsplits in Positions 2 and 4.

Comment

Yeah, my post was about positions 2 and 4 both being split bridge. (= redundant).

Comment

Yeah, my post was about positions 2 and 4 both being split bridge. (= redundant).
                        I addressed that in Reply #5.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

I addressed that in Reply #5.
                          Yes, you did!

But in post #6 you replied to my same post again, but you addressed something totally different. And actually, if you want to be accurate, the OP DIDN'T say he wants "standalone coilsplits". And you ASSUMED he meant neck split in position 4. I, on the other hand, was not even making a statement, I was asking for clarification from the OP , not for your assumption (I am perfectly capable of making that logical assumption all by my own little self) about positions 2 and 4. I wanted the OP to respond so I would know exactly what he wanted, without making any assumptions or putting words in his mouth, so I could give him some useful assistance.

You have a double standard...you expect precision in others' replies, but you allow yourself to make assumptions (and I admit that this particular one was a reasonable assumption to make, but an "assumption" none the less) and even errors, and make all kinds of excuses for yourself. In fact, you were even making an incorrect assumption about what I was asking in post 3.

I don't have anything personally against you. And I, like many others, appreciate all of the good advice and help that you offer to this forum. You have shared over 14 hundred posts with the forum...I have also shared over 14 thousand. Point is...we are both trying to help. I'm just asking you to be consistent in your expectations from others and yourself, and for a little respect when I get home. You are not the only authority on this forum.
                          Last edited by GuitarDoc; 07-29-2020, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Hey GuitarDoc,

My apologies - I see your point about making assumptions, and it's a good one. Your last reply didn't read to me like you were addressing the OP, but I should have asked instead of assumed.

You are one of the members whose posts helped me in understand guitar wiring wizardry. I'm very appreciative of your input. I will work to improve on my assumption making.

Comment

Apology accepted. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Working...
                              X