banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Pegasus very similar to the Custom 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Pegasus very similar to the Custom 5?

I have ordered an ESP guitar with a Custom 5 in the bridge. I have never tried this one and am looking forward to it.

I notice that the higher tier of this guitar ships with a Pegasus.

I looked at the tech description of the pickups, they appear to have similar output, resistance, EQ, and magnet. Are they functionally identical, or do they sound different in some way?

Re: Is the Pegasus very similar to the Custom 5?

The Pegasus absolutely has more mids. The Custom 5 has almost none. Neither one is 'better', as it just depends on the sound you are after. The Pegasus tends to sound better across more gain ranges. Both have massive chunk-a-bility.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Is the Custom 5 like a Dimarzio "Steves Special"? That was an old Petrucci pickup with very little mids and fairly high output.

I don't think I've ever played a pickup that has been described as "almost no mids".

Comment

I have no idea.

But it really does have almost no mids.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

They are different pickups. Ive played the Custom 5 and found it to be excessively scooped--to memory, the most scooped pickup I've heard.

The Pegasus has the low-end strength the C5 has but that's it
          Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Both are difentky voiced, at least to my ears. I find the Pegasus sterile, and the C5 more organic, but I also find the latter to have more mids than what it's known for.
            Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Working...
            X