Dead neck pickup in an old Jackson/Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead neck pickup in an old Jackson/Charvel

I'm working on an old Jackson/Charvel, that's been sitting in a case for years. The neck pickup appears to be dead. I'm getting no sound from it, and it doesn't register on my meter. There's nothing obviously wrong with the pickup, but there's not much to see as it has plastic covers (like EMGs) and the bottom of the pickup is covered in epoxy or something. I did try cutting the wire back from where it had been soldered in the past as it looked like maybe there was some damage to the wires at the ends, but no difference.

So my question is, what would cause a pickup to die without being handled improperly or even used at all?

Re: Dead neck pickup in an old Jackson/Charvel

Originally posted by conorsearl View Post
    I'm working on an old Jackson/Charvel, that's been sitting in a case for years. The neck pickup appears to be dead. I'm getting no sound from it, and it doesn't register on my meter. There's nothing obviously wrong with the pickup, but there's not much to see as it has plastic covers (like EMGs) and the bottom of the pickup is covered in epoxy or something. I did try cutting the wire back from where it had been soldered in the past as it looked like maybe there was some damage to the wires at the ends, but no difference.

So my question is, what would cause a pickup to die without being handled improperly or even used at all?
    A pickup is a long piece of wire wrapped around magnets.

If the wire breaks, there won't be any voltage across +/-.

Use a multimeter to see if there is any DC resistance.

Comment

Re: Dead neck pickup in an old Jackson/Charvel

Humidity can kill a pickup, as well as wiring. Extreme heat or cold isn't great for it either. It doesn't sound like an expensive pickup, so that's good. If you really wanted to, you could have it re-wound if you are getting no signal with a meter.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
      X