SSTK-S2 Hot Stack is not loud - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSTK-S2 Hot Stack is not loud - help

I have replaced my SSL-3 with a hot stack because of the humming associated with the SSL-3 - and now I have a new problem - the new Hot Stack (which has single magnet bar instead of staggered magnets) is not louder than my other 2 Di-Marzio pick-ups - and they are low output pickups. Yet according to your chart it is a high output pu. The sound of the new SSTK-S2 is great and there is no more humming but it is not as wild as the SSL-3 - Could I have wired it in single mode? I have red+white together - isolated and not touching the guitar, green and earthing wires = earth, and the black = live output. Help! What have I done wrong or are they simply low output?

Re: SSTK-S2 Hot Stack is not loud - help

Hi Guys,

well I guess one of you would have already corrected my wiring if it was wrong so I guess the problem is that it is a great pu but is not the loudest in the world. My SSL-3 is noticibly louder than my Di Marzios HS3 and this Hot Stack is about the same. Actually is matches them quite nicely but I wanted MORE from the bridge position. I guess I really need a Quarter Pounder with hum-cancelling...
    Still, let me know if I did make a mistake with the wiring.
    Cheers - brett

Comment

You wiring sounds correct.
      www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
      www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Do you use it on the bridge position? Maybe you got a neck/middle model which has less output. Can you measure the value of the d.c. resistance?
        The bridge model should be 20k, the neck/middle have 13k.
        The quarter pounder has a fatter tone than the SSL-3.
        Pickups... the final frontier.
        These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
        Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

Hi Inge,

I have no idea what the resistance is and no, I cannot measure it (non technical ...). You may be right about the mid/neck model but it all means I will have to re-sell it and look around again. I love my SSL-3 but it hums a little and I have to play around with the vol knob all night.

Still, I thank you all - cheers brett

Comment

Hey Brett, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

Measuring resistance is easy here's how.

Take a multimeter, and put the pointer on the selection that is the omega symbol.

Hold one lead (wire) onto the meter lead, then repeat. If it's digital then it should flash up a number, if it's an analog (needle) meter the meter will move.

The DC resistance should be approx. what SD has published on their site.

Also check and see how close the pup is to the strings. If it is far away you will have volume issues.

Also, is it possible that you melted the element inside of the Volume, or tone pot?

Keep us updated, during the day you have to wait a bit for some responses.

Luke
            “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Working...
            X