Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Best Pick up for EVH tone?

Originally posted by inter
    It's always interesting to read the different version's on Ed's pickups, gear, etc.

Love it
    Me too. This is the 4,000th thread on this Forume: his gear and pickups. Again, I loving hearing the different interpretations.
    Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

Originally posted by WICKED LESTER
      a friend of mine is a close buddy of EVH's he has known him since they went to high school together.
      IF eddie used the custom-custom i was not told that by him?
      he insists that VH used a overwound PAF that seymour wound for him from a 61' gibson PAF.
      eddie did use a duncan 59 in one kramer guitar.
      can you tell me what record(s) did eddie use the custom custom on?

Just a point of interest....any and every 335 p-up from the early 60's I have had the luck of playing, seeing and finding, has been wound to around 9k+ I personally feel Gibson overwound PAF's for these guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman
        No offense to Ed intended. MAinly Iwas trying to get a rise out of Wicked Lester! That and I was feeling out of the loop - I don't think I've been on this post since page two!
        hey man you are entilited to your opinion but i know thousands and thousands that would totally disagree with you
        as far as getting "a rise" from me i think it is best if i let my wife do that!
        1957 RI gibson historic black beauty lester(DD/JAZZ)
        2003 gibson zakk wylde custom shop lester (stock EMG)
        1996 gibson lester custom(DD/59 neck)
        1997 fender lone star (DD TB-6/duckbucker/lil 59)
        Marshall ZW 2203 100 watt top
        5150 block letter head
        4 1960B marshall cabs

Comment

Originally posted by WICKED LESTER
          it was NOT bone stock
          put on ERUPTION and really listen to that tone or the last F# chord in "atomic punk" when that marshall is begging for mercy and THEN try to still tell me it was BONE STOCK!
          I now for a fact that it was modded.
          the MXR EQ ( upside down frown) and Phaser surely added a bunch of gain. You listen to live boots from that era Halen and you will hear a different sound. The studio and production had a huge amount to do with that tone. Tell me what the mods were? . There were no added pre tubes and no major component changes. The specs of Ed's amp reflect stock values consistant with the 67 amps. A cap here and there, a switch from shared to split cathode can hardly be called mods. A tweak sure, but a mod? no way.

As far as Ed and influence. He changed how the guitar was played, only a handful of players in history can lay claim to that. His credit is 1000 percent deserved. That band changed rock.
          Last edited by kevlar3000; 04-21-2005, 08:44 AM.
          ]
          FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar3000

As far as Ed and influence. He changed how the guitar was played, only a handful of players in history can lay claim to that. His credit is 1000 percent deserved. That band changed rock.
            yeah i agree and ANYONE that wont admit that needs to be ***** slapped
            1957 RI gibson historic black beauty lester(DD/JAZZ)
            2003 gibson zakk wylde custom shop lester (stock EMG)
            1996 gibson lester custom(DD/59 neck)
            1997 fender lone star (DD TB-6/duckbucker/lil 59)
            Marshall ZW 2203 100 watt top
            5150 block letter head
            4 1960B marshall cabs

Comment

Working...
            X