Thumbs up for the Screamin Demon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thumbs up for the Screamin Demon

I have an alder body neck through super strat with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard that I just put the Demon in tonight to compare it to the PAF Pro.

The PAF Pro was really good I thought....had a good amount of output while still retaining that vintage vibe but was really chunky and nice. A little sluggish but that added to the vintage vibe...very well balanced though .

The Demon is a bit different. It was more cutting and a bit tighter. It definitely has that "growl" that people talk about...I can't explain it. It is a little scooped sounding cause you can hear some of the boom in the bass with a little lacking in the middle but it's not bad by any means....just makes it a little tighter with a little more upper end cut. It definitely fit my guitar very very well....I'm definitely going to keep it in for a while. It doesn't have the vintage vibe like the PAF Pro but it's definitely a good bit lower output.....which I would NOT like if I didn't have such a high gain amp (Peavey XXX). Other than that it's kind of like a Duncan Distortion but with less output...more growl.....a bit warmer.....with less of a thrash metal sound and more of a hard-rock type sound.

A buddy of mine actually hated the demon in his ebony fretboarded guitar....too thin and harsh he said. I told him to try the PAF Pro....he loved it....said it completely fit the bill for him and put the beef in his guitar with a nice hot-rodded vintage vibe.

Different pickups for different guitars

Re: Thumbs up for the Screamin Demon

The more I play....the more I like it. I kind of like that it's lower in output. My POD has tons of gain and so does my amp....this allows me to get some really cool mid-gain type sounds out of them both. And I've been playing it with crappy rusty strings too...I'm going to change them today..I'm sure it will sound even better.
    Last edited by ranalli; 04-17-2004, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Would you describe this pickup as boomy in the bass? Or does it have a lot of treble?
      Have you tried in in the neck position?

Comment

I prefer the PRO,it has a "unique" quality that i dont hear in a demon

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst
          Would you describe this pickup as boomy in the bass? Or does it have a lot of treble?
          Have you tried in in the neck position?

The best I can compare it too and put it into words would be a Duncan Distortion....

The Demon has a good bit less output first off. It has less treble but a touch more bass...but is fairly well balanced. It's warmer sounding as well even though there is a slight dip in the EQ in the mids somewhere I can hear. It's less "thrashy" sounding than the distortion and more "hard-rock" if you can understand what I'm saying.

Comment

Originally posted by RG 2570
            I prefer the PRO,it has a "unique" quality that i dont hear in a demon
            The Pro was an awesome pickup....I definitely want to try that one again in another guitar...it had this open wah pedal type sound that is really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli
              The best I can compare it too and put it into words would be a Duncan Distortion....

The Demon has a good bit less output first off. It has less treble but a touch more bass...but is fairly well balanced. It's warmer sounding as well even though there is a slight dip in the EQ in the mids somewhere I can hear. It's less "thrashy" sounding than the distortion and more "hard-rock" if you can understand what I'm saying.
              I think I can, I have tried a DDn and have a '59n now. It has to be somewhere inbetween there but with lesser bass?

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli
                The Pro was an awesome pickup....I definitely want to try that one again in another guitar...it had this open wah pedal type sound that is really cool.
                ranalli i think that is the unique thing i liked? it just sang like micheal schenkers tone or something? the demon was dry sounding to me? nothing special? could be the ibanez RG though?

Comment

Mine both screams and sings....but I think that I am going to return it to my strat again, that was a nice combination with my SSL-1's, it is a very defined pickup, you can hear all the nuances and make it squeal when ever you want.

Comment

Originally posted by RG 2570
                    ranalli i think that is the unique thing i liked? it just sang like micheal schenkers tone or something? the demon was dry sounding to me? nothing special? could be the ibanez RG though?
                    Yeah the Pro had a unique sound...no doubt.

That's what I find with Dimarzio...for the most part you get an entirely different sound with each of their different pickups whereas Duncan pickups are more like fine-tuned tweaked versions of each other. With the exception of a few the changes aren't as drastic. I could easily dial very similar tones with a Duncan Distortion or Custom even.

Comment

I have the Demon in my RG1550 & it’s a menace…

What I like about the Demon in this guitar is that, it produces a tight lower mid chug which is very useful for my high gain/ metal stuff. In the upper freq, the Demon’s high end is trimmed enough to maintain clarity, nothing too piercing. It’s a more polished His I should say.

FYI- I have the Duncan Distortion in the neck…
                      Psychic Horns

Comment

Working...
                      X