banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strat with pos. 2 & 4 series diagram request.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat with pos. 2 & 4 series diagram request.

I've got a quarter pounder, ssl-6 and 5-2 for a strat of mine which has a master volume and tone control. I'd like to wire it so position 1, 3 and 5 are normal, and position 2 and 4 are wired in series and hum cancelling.

Thanks for any help,
    Jacob

Re: Strat with pos. 2 & 4 series diagram request.

Hi wasteofo2; You'll only be able to do this if you replace the "normal" Strat switch with something like a super - switch.

An ordinary 5-way only has the three terminals for the 1, 3, & 5 positions. Position 2 is just 1 & 3 connected together, and position 4 is just 3 & 5 together. You can't really change their internal configuration.

You might be able to do something like this, if you add a push/pull switch, or two.

Comment

I should have included that I already have a superswitch.

Comment

Cool . . . ok, I have the first part of the diagram done. The 1, 3, and 5 part.
        But I need a bit more info on exactly what you want.
        I assume, so far, that you want:

1. Neck
        3. Middle
        5. Bridge

What do you want in pos #2 and #4. When you say "series", do you mean neck and bridge in series?

Comment

Just to be sure, are you sure you mean series, waste?

Series wiring will give a notably stronger tone, not so much the typical strat "quack" of positions 2 and 4. If that´s what you´re after (the "quack"), a standard 5-way switch and "classic" parallel wiring are the way you´ll probably want to go
          Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Jeez, I suck at specificity, this is what I want:

1: Neck
            2: Neck + Mid, series and hum cancelling
            3: Mid
            4: Mid + Bridge, series and hum cancelling
            5: Bridge

And Zerbus, I realize series will give a much stronger sound than the traditional position 2 and 4 of a strat, I'm looking for a humbuckery tone from these positions, since I don't really like the traditional 2 and 4 sound.

Comment

Originally posted by wasteofo2
              And Zerbus, I realize series will give a much stronger sound than the traditional position 2 and 4 of a strat, I'm looking for a humbuckery tone from these positions, since I don't really like the traditional 2 and 4 sound.
              Np, just making sure
              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Ok, consider this a sorta "preliminary" diagram. I looked it over real close, and it seems like it should work, but I don't own a "superswitch" to test it with.
                Hopefully, someone else will chime in if they see a glaring error.

Here's the "forum-sized" version:

Click here for the full size version.

Then do a right-click>Save As . . . to store it to your computer.

This assumes you're using this switch: Which - in my diagram, is rotated 90 deg's counter-clockwise, outlined in green.
                (Thats anti-clockwise to our British friends.)

A couple notes:

1. Take note that the middle pickup is the only one thats actually "grounded". The others ground through the switch.

2. The lower, right-hand quadrant is unused. (Two white wires just pass over two of the terminals without connecting. Connections are indicated by the orange-ish dot.

3. The red wire is simply a jumper, shown in red to make it easier to see against the other wires.

And one last thing that I'm not absolutely positive about. I'm not sure if maybe you may need to reverse the two wires coming from the middle pickup in order to achieve "humbucking" operation. Again, hopefully, someone else will chime in on this.

Comment

Damn, Artie, you rock!

Oh, and I really like the serial positions (I finally got my geetar working this morning).
                  This machine kills fascists

Comment

Artie- good work as always

As long as the neck & bridge single coils are "normal" and the middle is RW/RP, that wiring works fine.

That unused pole on the lower right is begging to be for the tone controls. That would allow Tone-1 to control neck/neck&middle/middle then have Tone-2 control middle&bridge/bridge. Just a thought. (sorry I don't have the software to tweak your drawing)

Chip
                    Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                    Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                    Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                    SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                    SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                    "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Start
                      That unused pole on the lower right is begging to be for the tone controls. That would allow Tone-1 to control neck/neck&middle/middle then have Tone-2 control middle&bridge/bridge. Just a thought. (sorry I don't have the software to tweak your drawing)

Chip
                      Oooh . . . thats a great idea. I didn't even think of that.

I'll see what I can "doodle" up tomorrow. Just heading for bed.

Comment

Working...
                      X