Ground to bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground to bridge

This is regarding the same Tele as my Buzz Buzz thread. I took out the stock Tex Mex's and noticed the ground from the bridge pup had a contact with the bridge. The wiring diagram that came with the Rio Grande's didn't include this, nor did the Duncan I put in my other Tele, nor did any of the Tele or Strat wiring diagrams in my repair book. Why was the Tex Mex bridge pup grounded to the bridge and do I need to do that with the new bridge pup?
    Thanks

Re: Ground to bridge

Originally posted by Ice Man
    This is regarding the same Tele as my Buzz Buzz thread. I took out the stock Tex Mex's and noticed the ground from the bridge pup had a contact with the bridge. The wiring diagram that came with the Rio Grande's didn't include this, nor did the Duncan I put in my other Tele, nor did any of the Tele or Strat wiring diagrams in my repair book. Why was the Tex Mex bridge pup grounded to the bridge and do I need to do that with the new bridge pup?
    Thanks
    Just make sure both your bridge and your bridge pickup are grounded..Run your bridge and bridge pickup grounds over to the volume or tone pot...I actually etch out an area of the backside of my Tele bridges and then I get a nice hot shiny puddle of solder to hold the ground wire to the bridge...Otherwise the bridge ground wire is normally sandwiched beteen the bridge and the body...I don't like this grounding method and my method makes for a better and more permanent ground connection..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

generally, a wire connects the bridge to the ground, as long as that wire that attaches to the bridge connects to all your other grounds in some way, your fine

Comment

Originally posted by HolyDirt
        generally, a wire connects the bridge to the ground, as long as that wire that attaches to the bridge connects to all your other grounds in some way, your fine
        That's correct but Teles use a sandwiched wire wedging grounding method that sucks,plus that stranded wire end gets rusty over the years and makes for a crappy ground..My fix is to notch the back of the bridge out on the bottom with a dremel tool and solder the wire to the bridge...I make the notch deep enough so that the bridge sits flush to the body even with the wire and the solder in place..This is how I do it on my Teles..

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Get a 80watt soldering iron at your local hardware store. This will make soldering ground lugs to the bridge and pots much easier. The problem with a 30 watt soldering iron is it isn't hot enough to melt the solder evenly. What happens is you get a dirty ground which makes the buzz worse. Also the pots get to0 hot with a 30 watt soldering iron since you need to hold it there forever. With a 80 watt its ZAPP the solder melts and your done and the pots don't get heated up by such a breif exposure to heat.

As long as your changing the pickups you might as well take out all of the electronics and paint the cavities with stewmac sheilding paint. Use four coats and then run seperate ground wires from each cavity directly to the cold lug on your ouput jack. That way most of the EMF gets grounded without being introduced into the signal chain via the ground on the pots.

I have found I can play at much higher volumes with much higher distortion levels before I get noise. One thing that good shielding does though is it plays with your head when you first hear it. You think "gee my pickups don't sound as hot as they used too"? When actually your just not getting as much noise as you used too!

Snowdog

Comment

Working...
          X