No announcement yet.

Good pickup for '57 Historic Gold Top?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good pickup for '57 Historic Gold Top?

IIRC the 498T is Gibson's version of a JB.

Comment

I replaced the 59's in a Heritage H150 I once owned with ants and the tone was awesome - I'm going to be picking up a 57' reissue goldie next week as well!! I've wanted one for years and always picked up something "different" but this time I'm just going to bite the bullet, pay the extra cash for the "gibson" logo and be done with that particular GAS requirement. Of the 10 or so I've played to date the BB's sounded pretty darn good.... I will probably just leave them and enjoy playing for a change - vs chasing a tone. good luck - post pics when you get it, I will!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gOgIver
        IIRC the 498T is Gibson's version of a JB.
        So it is way hotter than the BB Pro!

I have a guy at True Tone pickups making me a so called better Burstbucker Pro, smoother, hotter, and fatter.

Comment

I thought the 490-series pickups sounded "bigger" and "thicker" in my Les Paul Studio and I regret taking them out and giving them to my buddy. I do like the "air-ier", more open sounding tone of the BBs but it was nice having the Studio have a different tone.

By "heavy rock" I will assume its more of the "chugga-chugga" kind if stuff (no offense, just describing...) so maybe a heavier wound pickup would be better. Remember, not only is a higher output pickup louder, it cuts your high end more and thickens your low end. Less "KERRRANGGG" and more "SCHUNNNK". But that brings me back to the guitar choice thing again--why drop that kind of nickel on a guitar that you need to modify? Grab something more suited maybe to your type of playing, or, if you are set on a Les Paul, grab a solid color Standard and throw those pickups in. With the Historic, you are paying for accuracy and the wood and the finish, so if those things aren't important, don't waste money on them. You can't tell the difference between a Les Paul Studio with high output pickups awash in recto-grindage and a '59 Les Paul with high output pickups awash in recto-grindage.

Anyone who tells you that you can is either lying or really doesn't know.

Anyway, just trying to help...

Comment

Here is Gibson's output chart

Comment

Woah. I'm surprised that Angus Young's pickup is that hot. I figured he would have used something very classic.
              teles? voxes? what is happening to me?!

Comment

Thanks JPage! The main reasons I bought my LP was because I just fell in love with the feel and playability and like the tone a lot from the times I played it in the store, so she came home with me. I have used it on many gigs and get many compliments. She sounds airy and open, yet creamy at the same time. Keep in mind, I have tried different pickups in this guitar and it still ratains the characteristics I love. Also keep in mind I like to add various textures with clean and lead so it isn't all grind. I also prefer heavy Marshall stomp than Mesa grind. She can chug pretty well, but I will admit my guitars loaded with the Rio BBQ and Duncan JB sound a bit thicker - not by a whole lot, mind you. At this point....since I am such a Les Paul nut....I'll either look for a used Standard, late 90s or early '00 and modify with thicker pickups or find a Gold Top. I could also modify my current Standard and use the GT as the more accurate and vintage LP for those cleaner and crunchier tunes.
                Decisions, decisions...

I think I should really listen to you on this. My guita tech is a big Gibson fan and has three LP Standards....all sound fantastic! Non are Historics and his tone is to die for....no lie. I am not very interested in amazing accuracy. I love the feel of the modern 50s neck so I am happy with that aspect. I also like the thicker tone I think the zink tail provides over the airier aluminum tail. This LP sounds good and I bought it new, so would you recommend a used and older Standard? Or, since I know the new Standards are sweet....a new Standard and modify for my tastes? Maybe a slightly used 2002-2004? I looked at some earlier models with the grover tunes and some of those were nice as well, but I didn't find the 498T bridge that much fatter than the BB Pro bridge in my experience.
                Last edited by papersoul; 04-07-2005, 06:15 AM.

Comment

That's a cool chart, Gogiver. Interesting that the 57 Classic and BB 2 are similar in output. Also interesting that the Dirty Fingers is that hot. I've always wondered what that pickup was like.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

The BB's (a2's) that come stock in historics manufactured after 03 are wax potted!

SP wound those on my R8 and PS wound those on my R7, both ~8.30K bridge and ~7.80K neck. Both sets were great (I sold the PS set).

B
                    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Working...
                    X