Replace Gibson Burstbucker Pros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace Gibson Burstbucker Pros

I recently purchased a Les Paul Standard which comes equipped with their BurstBucker pro pickups. To my ears, they sound muddy, especially the neck pup.

I would like to find a pair of SD pups to replace them. I'm looking for a more "open" sound. I would prefer pups that come standard in the PAF-style metal housing. Two models seem like possibilities- the SH-5 Seth Lover and the Antiquity Humbucker. I'm a little hesitant about trying the Antiquities, since they are $$$ and SD doesn't put sound samples on their site.

Can anyone who is familiar with the BurstBucker sound please make a recommendation?

Thanks!

Re: Replace Gibson Burstbucker Pros

What are you playing out of where those pickups are muddy??

Recent test:

I guess I'm in the minority, but to my ears, the new Gibbys are coming with the best stock pickups they've ever made. If your tone is "muddy", I think you really need to look for another weak link. I agree that the old 490/498t sets were a little dark, but these?

Comment

Have you adjusted the height on these pickups? How about the pole pieces? The neck pickup really has to be lowered in order to get a snappier tone.

-Mark
      "Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it." John Adams

Comment

I think for the $$ the Seth's are really hard to beat, and my personal opinion is that they are superior tonally to the BB's. Are the Antiquities worth the $$....most definately so. Legendary tones did a shoot out (I'll find the link in a minute), and they rated BB's Seths, Antiquities and 57' Classics. Their opinon was the Antiquities by a mile, followed by the Seths.

You can always sell your BB's and recoupe a good portion of the cost of replacements.

However, before you make a change you probably should try raising and lowering the pickups, adjusting the pole pieces and making sure there isn't something else in your tone chain that is causing the problem. From there you can find your guitar's true voice, and make the right pickup selection.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
          I think for the $$ the Seth's are really hard to beat, and my personal opinion is that they are superior tonally to the BB's. Are the Antiquities worth the $$....most definately so. Legendary tones did a shoot out (I'll find the link in a minute), and they rated BB's Seths, Antiquities and 57' Classics. Their opinon was the Antiquities by a mile, followed by the Seths.

You can always sell your BB's and recoupe a good portion of the cost of replacements.

However, before you make a change you probably should try raising and lowering the pickups, adjusting the pole pieces and making sure there isn't something else in your tone chain that is causing the problem. From there you can find your guitar's true voice, and make the right pickup selection.

This my friend is the BEST advise you will ever get!

+1
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

To evaluate the BB Pros, I have been playing clean into a plain ol' Fender Deluxe Reverb which sounds GREAT with my other SD pups. No "chain" problems here.

Yes, I have been tweaking the pole pieces and overall height, but I'm still not happy. Too muddy, especially too much muddy bass in the neck pup. And yes, I know how to use my tone controls.

Maybe I should rephrase my question:

What tonal differences should I expect between the BB Pro and either the SH-5 Seth Lover or the Antiquity Humbucker? I found a good comparitive review online, but I would be interested in some other opinions.

Thanks!

Comment

I'd love to hear side by side clips once you get 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by wileyhouse59
                To evaluate the BB Pros, I have been playing clean into a plain ol' Fender Deluxe Reverb which sounds GREAT with my other SD pups. No "chain" problems here.

Yes, I have been tweaking the pole pieces and overall height, but I'm still not happy. Too muddy, especially too much muddy bass in the neck pup. And yes, I know how to use my tone controls.

Maybe I should rephrase my question:

What tonal differences should I expect between the BB Pro and either the SH-5 Seth Lover or the Antiquity Humbucker? I found a good comparitive review online, but I would be interested in some other opinions.

Thanks!
                If you like the tone but they seem muddy...especially the neck - get the RS Treble Tamer(hybrid) kit - it tames the bridge a bit and opens up the neck.

Comment

I find the BB Pro's to have excellent clarity...moreso than most PAF style pickups I'm familiar with...I would think the Seth's/Antquities may be even "muddier" at least in the neck..but I don't know for a fact. I know the 59's are def muddier than the BB Pros are.

That said, I'm at odds with BB pros right now too...but after some hardcore tweaking I did tonite, with the pups height and amp, I *think* I may keep them in. I was all ready to buy some Gibson 57 classics today , but I dialed everything in real close to the sound I'm looking for... sound could be a little "fatter", but it's pretty good.

The BB pro's ARE pretty hot...moreso than most PAF styles I'm fam with. I know you said you are playing clean, but ya might wanna fool around with the volume/MV on the amp...they drive a front end pretty hard.
                  I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I find the BB Pros work best with the bridge at 3/32 and the neck at 4/32. All poles flush!

Comment

I think for the $$ the Seth's are really hard to beat, and my personal opinion is that they are superior tonally to the BB's...
                      Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and ordered a set of Seths (in gold- cool!). I will set up an A/B comparison and post some clips.

BTW, I ordered the Seths with the 4-wire option. I am definitely not a traditionalist, and I am interested in how some of the new wiring combinations will sound. I am particularly interested in the two humbucking combinations across both pickups. Plus there are some series/parallel combos that will be worth trying out. I will report my findings...

Comment

Can't wait to hear what you think of them. Best of luck. BTW, where did you order from?
                        My Sound Clips

Comment

Can't wait to hear what you think of them. Best of luck. BTW, where did you order from?
                          I buy my SD pickups from GuitarElectronics.com. They consistently have the best prices, and fast delivery and they stock most models. Plus they accept PayPal which is handy when I have a balance from selling stuff on Ebay (such as pickups I don't like!).

Comment

That's an outlet that I haven't heard of.....thanks. It's always nice to have different sources. Many of us here buy from BlackRose Customs

He is a forum member, and usually has the best prices that I can find. I also use him for all of my custom orders...just something for you to look at next time you order!

Cheers.
                            My Sound Clips

Comment

I hate my neck BB-V as well. That a5 magnet is ruining all! But I think the bridge BB-V and a2 BB's are actually quite good pickups.

Good luck.

B
                              FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Working...
                              X