X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Dream
    replied
    Re: Tone Zone & PAF Pro

I have the Breed in my Fat Strat, its clear, hot, and crunchy, but not what I want. I was expecting something smoother, it came with an HS3 in the neck and stock middle, but I don't like any of them. This weekend I should have my CC and then a pair of SSL1's should round it out.

Leave a comment:

• RG 2570
    replied

as far as the PAF pro's you cant go wrong with them in the neck they are IT!
    in the bridge they have a cool wha in the middle tone that really sings and has tremendous clarity!

Leave a comment:

• RG 2570
    replied

I like the air zone better it is the same tone but clearer more dynamic.
    the regular zone can be a bit compressed and muddy depending on the guitar you put it in?
    many use a regular tone zone witrh great results but the air one breaths more.
    my buddy made a air/regular zone hybrid,what he did was take a air zone and remove the plastic spacer(screw side coil) that creates the air effect and put in a regular metal bar there for full strength so one coil is air zone and the other is regular zone and brother let me tell you it sounds GREAT!
    it is like both at the same time

Leave a comment:

• Scatterwound
    replied

I have a Tone Zone in the bridge of my Strat (see signature). After experimenting with a few pu's in the bridge I think I have found what I am looking for.....I wanted a bassy beefy pickup and the Tone Zone seems to deliver...It is not a bright or clear pickup with the gain on but I do not care....I was not looking for a bright sound....In my guitar with the midboost circuitry on all the way I find the Tone Zone a great lead pickup.........

Leave a comment:

• ranalli
    replied

I would not use the TZ for any type of extra clarity....it has too much bottom end IMO and should only be used with really bright setups.

PAF Pro is a great pickup but it looses it's tightness on some of the lower strings which gives it kind of a vintage vibe.

I think the Super Distortion would be your better bet IMO. Beefy with a big bottom end, nice agressive tight ceramic mag too.

Leave a comment:

• Neeradj
    replied

I had a TZ/Paf Pro combo. It wasn't really a good combo, at least I believed so. The Tone Zone had enormous bass, so much my tone started to drown in it. The Paf Pro however remained clear with a slightly raised treble crisp. These pick ups are very far apart tonally. So I replaced the Tone Zone with a JB and it sounds much, much, much better now.

Do keep in mind I had the combo in my heavy mahogany bodied Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (superstrat), so the TZ might work out differently for you if you have lighter bodywoods.

Leave a comment:

• walt
    replied

If you want a pup that will retain clarity under distortion, I would strongly suggest an AirZone rather than the Tone Zone. It has good bottom end and lower mids, and the highs are not shrill. It is like a reveresed eq'd JB but with the Air Technology it has better string defination. Just my 2 cents.

Leave a comment:

• I_M_Ken
    replied

ok the TZ/Paf Pro combo is heavily used by Paul Gilbert back in the early 90s. nowadays he prefers the pafpro/paf pro.
    hmm however paul uses a considerably bright amp (laney ghl) so the thickness and power of the TZ works pretty well with it.

also as for the hum from hell, i have one and i love it. its a great neck pup. does cleans very very well and and also has enough character for some mean gain. well of course the gain part heavily depends on the amp and/or pedals u use. but it works well. and as dimarzio said, the HFH is like a humbucker sized single coil.

and as foir the beefy pup that will remain clear under fast playing a light distortion. then i think maybe a Dimarzio Super Distortion or a Duncan Distortion

just my opinions, lets see what the others suggest.

Leave a comment:

• brinton
    replied

BTW want I really beefy pickup that will remain clear even through the fastest playing and a bit of distortion (which is why I want a slightly heavier Bridge pup because I really am not a fan of having the Amp/pedals do all the beefing) I'm currently giving my strat a HSH make-over, which is what my HB's will be going into.

Leave a comment:

• brinton
    started a topic Tone Zone & PAF Pro

Tone Zone & PAF Pro

Thoughts and experience? I'm really interested in several Dimarzio models, (they have such a Variety ). Anyone Got this combo (TZ/pro)? Also has anyone ever had those breed pickups, I'd be interested in putting the neck model in the bridge, they say it's a hotter sounding PAF which is like a very sought after tone but there are so many PAF variations. I'm dying to get some thoughts on the HBFH but I haven't heard anything about the Humbucker from Hell.
Working...
X