banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to wire neck and middle singles into series config?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to wire neck and middle singles into series config?

I want to wire my strat so that when i select position 4 (neck and middle), I want it to select the neck and middle wired in series instead of the deafult parallel configuration. I'd like to keep all other pickup positions the same as default.

Am I right in thinking that this would give me a more 'humbuckery' sound instead of the traditional strat-quack?

Hope this all makes sense - how can I do this?

Eric

Re: How to wire neck and middle singles into series config?

bump!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
      I want to wire my strat so that when i select position 4 (neck and middle), I want it to select the neck and middle wired in series instead of the deafult parallel configuration. I'd like to keep all other pickup positions the same as default.

Am I right in thinking that this would give me a more 'humbuckery' sound instead of the traditional strat-quack?

Hope this all makes sense - how can I do this?

Eric
      4 pole switch maybe? Couldn't tell you from there on in though.

Comment

The only way you could do this, would be to add another switch, or replace your present 5-way with a "Superswitch".

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
          The only way you could do this, would be to add another switch, or replace your present 5-way with a "Superswitch".
          There is one way if you add a push/pull Dpdt switch (volume perhaps; It will allow for normal strat when down, and when pulled will give you the options of series N & M or series B & M,the 5way will have a kill switch at position 3 while in that mode ... It's not perfect, but it does let you get what you are referring to here. If you're interested in it, let me know and I'll try to slap together a quick drawing or walk you thru it.
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

wow, that definitely sounds pretty good, what happens in positions 1 and 5 with the pot pulled up? are they just the regular single coils?

Comment

wow, that definitely sounds pretty good, what happens in positions 1 and 5 with the pot pulled up? are they just the regular single coils?
              When pulled up it's as follows:
              Position 1 Series Bridge&Middle
              2 Bridge single
              3 Mute
              4 Neck single
              5 Series Neck& Middle
              When pushed down it's just a regular strat ... let me throw something together to post in a few.

Comment

I knew I had it still, had to find it, and transfer it to graphics ... this should do ya.

Comment

BTW, if you choose this route Eric, PM me, because there are a couple options that exist with your tone controls, later.

Comment

wow! thanks very much Kent. I was gonna ask what the pink blue and green dots were but i guess they are just the wires that join the two diagrams together!

only one problem that I can see, I have a lil'59 humbucker in the bridge position currently, so that might give me some strange combinations at positions 1 and maybe 2 with the push/pull up.

the wiring diagram is brilliant though, do you have a lot of them available to view online for different configs?

Thanks you very much for putting the diagram up - i'm at uni with exms coming up at the moment, but i mite get this started in about 7 weeks or so, so I may dig this thread up or PM you about those options!

Eric

Comment

Hey Eric; don't forget that you can right-click the image, and select Save Picture As . . ., to save it to your computer. That way, you'll always have it.

Comment

thanks artie - i've saved the whole thread to disk so i've got it all

Comment

wow! thanks very much Kent. I was gonna ask what the pink blue and green dots were but i guess they are just the wires that join the two diagrams together!
                          LOL ... yeah I do that sometimes to keep from drawing lines (wires) all over the place ...

only one problem that I can see, I have a lil'59 humbucker in the bridge position currently, so that might give me some strange combinations at positions 1 and maybe 2 with the push/pull up.
                          Maybe a bit of hum, like a humbucker and single together tend to do anyway ... let me do some head scratching on that one...

the wiring diagram is brilliant though, do you have a lot of them available to view online for different configs?
                          A lot yeah, but I haven't ever taken the time to transfer them from my notebooks (physical ... you know mechanical pencil and paper; the old way ...) to graphics. I do them on an as needed basis, and just figure out different configurations as they crop up. So it's pretty much a custom deal.

Thanks you very much for putting the diagram up - i'm at uni with exms coming up at the moment, but i mite get this started in about 7 weeks or so, so I may dig this thread up or PM you about those options!

Eric
                          Sure thing, just print out the schematic ... as sifting thru a bunch of threads going back that far is rather a painful process ... Glad I could help you out.

Comment

Kent; If you're ever in Florida - stop by, and we'll have a brew!

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                              Kent; If you're ever in Florida - stop by, and we'll have a brew!
                              KEWL! ...

Comment

Working...
                              X