Need suggestion for a strat pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need suggestion for a strat pickup

hey guys...I have a question. I recently bought a great 80's MIJ strat and I love its tone but the pickups are kinda noisy for recording so I was thinking about replacing at least the bridge pikcup with a noiseless/stacked pickup.

I am not looking for a glassy strat tone or for a HB tone, I am looking for a hot and warm strat tone... and I also want to keep the stock strat look (no rails or strat sized hbs). right now my choice would be either the dimarzio Heavy Solo or HS2 but I've been using SD pickups for a long time (on my other guitars) and would like to get a SD pickup instead of a dimarzio.

So please tell me what SD pickup would have these characteristics:

- hot, fat strat tone

- noiseless

- stock strat look

If you want, I can post some clips of the tone I am looking for, the pickups I have right now are pretty much the tone I want, but without the noise.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
    Last edited by G Mello; 04-19-2004, 11:29 AM.
    www.bill-lima.com

Re: Need suggestion for a strat pickup

The Classic Stack is the only hum cancelling, single coil looking pickup that SD makes. It is a little middier/warmer than stock singles but it's not particularily hotter than a normale single coil.

I have used them in the bridge slot of Strats and got great results.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Hey Robert do you have any sound sample of your strat's tone??

Thanks

Bill
      www.bill-lima.com

Comment

I had a VV blues in the neck slot of my MIJ strat together with a VV '54 in the mid and a VV solo at the bridge and it worked great. It was not a very traditional tone at the bridge, but neither was it a 'bucker sound. The neck and middle worked great either alone or together for real strat sounds. I replaced them with the Fender CS '62 set that I oroginally had in the guitar, though, because you can't get a real SC sound without real SC's.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

hey Benji-- have you ever tried the SD Classic Stack? If so, how does it compare to the VV Solo?

I think the original pickups on my strat is the ' 62 set. It sounds great, I am just having a hard time with the noise.

Thanks

Bill
          www.bill-lima.com

Comment

I think hot stack could satisfy you but it looks different than the classic strat pup

Comment

Sorry, haven't tried the Duncan Stacks, so I can't comment on the differences. My guess is that the Solo is hotter and has more mids than the Duncan Classic Stack. That's only my WAG (wild @assed guess) though.
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
              X