Pickups for my strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for my strat

First time posting. I have a mexican Strat that has very heavy wood causing it to sound predominantly thin and tinny. I have tried a Fender Tex Mex set, and a Bill Lawrence set and it still sounds like ass. I was wonderng if you guys could recommend a set of SD pickups that would fatten up the sound while still retaining a relatively Fenderish sound. I really like the neck, and the guitar looks cool, so I'd like to make it work as a hot Strat. Thanx

Re: Pickups for my strat

Go with a set of SSL-5 Custom Staggered. They will retain the Strat character with no problem, and they will definitely sound fatter and hotter.
    Scott Miller
    New Products/Technical Guy/Something Something
    Seymour Duncan

Comment

I've got Tex-Mex and BL pickups in some guitars and they all sound great through my Deluxe Reverb. Very full, bright and definitely "Fenderish".

Maybe it's your amp that's sounding thin? Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman75
        I've got Tex-Mex and BL pickups in some guitars and they all sound great through my Deluxe Reverb. Very full, bright and definitely "Fenderish".

Maybe it's your amp that's sounding thin? Just a thought.
        No, my other strat sounds great through my Marshall JTM30 and Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It's the guitar wood. I tried the Tex-Mex on it a while back and it sounded too dark. I have Lace Sensors on my Japanese 59 reissue and it sounds great. I've thought about going with Lace Sensors but I don't need another Strat that sounds just like the other one. I'm hoping to make this a hotter sounding cross between a strat and a Les paul, but I don't want to ruin the look of it by replacing the pups with humbuckers, and I don't really like the look of the mini humbuckers either.

Comment

I have a heavy Mexican Strat bodied project guitar I built.
          I put Alnico 2 Pro's in the neck and middle and a Twangbanger in the bridge. I also replaced the trem. block with a Callaham trem block for a Mexican Strat.
          It is now a fat sounding strat, but it still quacks and cleans up.
          Look in the vault under the ultamate Strat tone, and I think you will find your answer.

Comment

Working...
          X