Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup split question

hey,

I have this godin lg with i am making beter and i have a few questions. Here's the deal. The guitar has 2 humbuckers, 1 tone, 1 volume and a 5 way switch. I hear that the 5 way switch splits my pups in the 2nd and 4th position ( i think ). If i want a 2 single coil sound out of my guitar, do i have to instal a 3 way switch on one of the humbs so i can use them both split at the same time? I really want that 2 single coil sound. What would be the best thing to do? Any help appreciated...thx in advance.

Phil
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Re: Pickup split question

Hey Phil; There's a couple different ways you could do this, depending on which you prefer.

1. Replace either the volume or tone control with a push/pull pot to split the bridge, and add it to the output at any time. (Which you'ld do when the you had selected the neck split position.)

2. Replace the 5-way with a 3-way, then use a push/pull pot to split the pups any time you wanted, and have full control over all combinations.

I like #2 better, but it means a bit more expense and work.
    Edit: Well . . . not much expense. Just a little extra soldering.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-13-2005, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Thx for the info. I talked to my tech, and i think what i will do is go with number 1. my guitar is already pretty modified and for now i think its the best solution.Thx again.

Phil
      - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Originally posted by phil_104
        I have this godin lg with i am making beter and i have a few questions. Here's the deal. The guitar has 2 humbuckers, 1 tone, 1 volume and a 5 way switch...
        I was wondering how the 2 humbuckers are wired to the 5 way switch... like this?

neck (hb)
        neck (split)
        neck & bridge (maybe split, maybe not)
        bridge (split)
        bridge (hb)

The P model MegaSwitch over at Stew-Mac would give you the same linkages as a PRS rotary switch model:

Steve Ahola

The Blue Guitar:
        http://www.blueguitar.org/

SoundClick Page:
        http://www.soundclick.com/steveahola

Comment

Working...
        X