Pickup recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup recommendation

I am planning to change the pickups in my Tom Anderson Drop Top and I thought that I would seek the advice of those of you who are familiar with the specific pickups that I am deciding between.

First of all, my guitar is basswood with a quilted maple top, the neck is maple with a rosewood board, the bridge is an Original Floyd Rose and the pickup configuration is Hum-Single-Hum.

Here is what I am deciding between...

Bridge: Dimarzio Evolution or Tone Zone?
    Middle: Seymour Duncan Hot Stack
    Neck: Seymour Duncan 59n or Jazz?

I will most likely try the Evolution in the bridge first, so in that case, would the Duncan 59n or Jazz fit more appropriately for the neck in your opinions. Also, if you have any opinions on the Evolution vs. the Tone Zone, that would also be helpful. Thank you all in advance.

Re: Pickup recommendation

Is antone willing to help me out on this?

Comment

Hi Existence; I don't have much experience with the p'ups you list, although, I do have a 59n in my Predator - that I love - but you may want to post what styles of music you'll be playing, so folks will have a better idea of what kind of tone you're going for.

Comment

Originally posted by Existence

Bridge: Dimarzio Evolution or Tone Zone?
        Middle: Seymour Duncan Hot Stack
        Neck: Seymour Duncan 59n or Jazz?
        the hot stack middle is a good choice, sounds like a hot strat pup with no noise. the 59 or jazz in the neck will work fine and are similar in some ways, the 59 has a little more bottom but the jazz tends to sound a little more dense in the upper mids, both are great pups.

the evolution and the tone zone are quite different. the evo is hotter and MUCH brighter than the tz, which has a very big bottom and thick mids where the evo has loads of top end, very punchy mids and a tight but not overly big or thick bottom.

what amp do you have?

Comment

Thanks ArtieToo.

I am interested in shred and instrumental rock similar to Steve Vai, etc.

Comment

Thanks Jeremy.

Would the Evolution be too bright for my guitar woods? I particularly like Vai's tone and am most concerned about achieving lead tones similiar to his.

I use various amps but mostly I am using a Marshall JMP-1 preamp with a Boogie 2:90 power amp.

Comment

too bright for me? yup
              too bright for you, maybe not.

itll be plenty bright but with a jmp and 2:90 you should be able to thicken it up alot. what ya using for cabs? if ya got speakers with decently thick mids then youll probably be ok. there is a fair amount of control in your rig so you may like the clarity of the evo vs the thickness of the tz

Comment

Working...
              X