Pickups for a Wolfgang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for a Wolfgang

What Duncan pickups are recomended for a Wolfgang. I originally was thinking of a jb/jazz set but was told w/the basswood body it might sound a little bright. Now I'm leaning towards a set of 59s. Anybody that could give me your recommendations would be appreciated. thx

Re: Pickups for a Wolfgang

I highly recommend the Custom Custom. Heavy mids and just the right amount of bite. The best lead guitar pickup I've ever heard.
    www.bill-lima.com

Comment

Custom, Custom would be good also if you dont want to stick strickly with Duncans, The DiMarzio Air Norton neck/ and Air Zone Bridge are what I have in mind and I love them. Not bright, good midrange bite, and good bottom end. The Air Bucker Technology lets the strings vibrate longer which helps with sustain. The Air Zone is discribed by a Duncan tech as a reversed eq'd JB, The Air Norton just sounds great. I tried a 59 in the neck with a JB and C5 and it just wasnt right to my ears. This is the first set of Dimarzio humbuckers that I really like.

Just another option for you to consider.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Blues Trembucker bridge/Alnico II Pro neck in that guitar. I've tried a lot of pickups in the Wolfgang, and I've found that warmer sounding pickups work best. I've never tried a '59 in mine, at least not with the stock magnet, so I'm not sure if that would be too bright or not.

Ryan
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I can't help but wonder if my Wolgang Special is more bassey sounding than others. I tried the Air Norton in the neck position but pulled it out because it was so bassey it was droney. I now have an Air Classic in the neck postion and while its better it still seems to have a bit of drone. Based on my experience with MY guitar I would say the Wolfgang is anything but bright sounding. In fact, I don't think the guitar is bright sounding at all, but rather the piercing quality of the stock pickups give it the illusion of being a bright sounding guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike M.
            I can't help but wonder if my Wolgang Special is more bassey sounding than others. I tried the Air Norton in the neck position but pulled it out because it was so bassey it was droney. I now have an Air Classic in the neck postion and while its better it still seems to have a bit of drone. Based on my experience with MY guitar I would say the Wolfgang is anything but bright sounding. In fact, I don't think the guitar is bright sounding at all, but rather the piercing quality of the stock pickups give it the illusion of being a bright sounding guitar.
            In my Wolfgang Special the Air Norton sings, the Air Zone in the bridge just rocks. I have found that when it was stock you had to do a lot of home work with your amp to get the tone down from the ice pick in the fore head. The Jb and C5 made my ears bleed in that guitar. I dont know what to tell ya, check and see if your bridge is blocked. That could take some highs away.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike M.
              I have the 'regular' Wolfgang. This baby isn't bright at all, at least not to me. I think that the pickups that are in it are pretty good, so even though I've thought of changing them, I'm not going to for awhile.

Say, dude, if you decide to change those Wolfgang pups out and you want to sell em, IM me, I want them!!!

Farkus
              2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
              1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Working...
              X