PUPS for a Univox LP copy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PUPS for a Univox LP copy

Any suggestions? This axe belongs to a teenager (read: POOR) at church. He plays it sometimes, but usually he ends up borrowing someone else's guitar for church. I think with a new set of pups and some tuners, this could be a decent axe.

Styles include rock-based praise and worship music, some punk-influenced tunes. Distortion is important, but he can get that from his amp. Cleans are essential. He plays through a Line6 Spider II amp. I'm thinking some good multi-purpose pickups with a fat tone.

Tuner suggestions would be helpful as well.
    Last edited by LesStrat; 04-18-2005, 07:00 PM.
    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
    Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Re: PUPS for a Univox LP copy

If you want cheap, how about Duncan Performer Buckshots? They're like $29 a piece at GC. They're based on the Distortion.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
      If you want cheap, how about Duncan Performer Buckshots? They're like $29 a piece at GC. They're based on the Distortion.

very good call! Look into the preformer stuff
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

yeah there's a performer set based on the JB/Jazz combo too...probably a step up from whatever Univox was putting in their guitars...
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Scour Ebay for some used Duncans or Duncan Designed units. Strap in a set of non-locking Grovers and rock on.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

yeah, i bet the Duncan performer set based on the jb/jazz would be a low cost upgrade ... for a guitar in that price range, i'd recommend tuners only if it is having trouble staying tune or in some othere way effecting the playability ... does it need nut work and/or a setup too?

good luck
            t4d
            gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Yeah, it's constantly going out of tune. The price of the axe is impossible to beat. It plays pretty well, it just needs some upgrades.
              Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
              https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
              Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
              X