Trouble with Vintage Rail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with Vintage Rail

I installed a vintage rail into the neck position on my Hamer last night. I have previously installed a Hot Rail into the bridge position with no trouble.

The difference: with the Hot Rail I used the spacer springs that came with the Hamer. But the screws that came with the Vintage Rail were too big for the springs, so I thought I would use the little rubber tubes that came with the pickup.

I couldn't get the pickup to sit flat. It keeps rocking towards the neck, putting one corner up and hitting the D string. I can raise the saddle, but I think the pickup should sit flat.

What am I doing wrong?

(btw, I was on this forum before, but haven't logged in for a while and my profile was gone... it looks different, too. Did they clean it all out?)

Thanks,
    Rick
    Rick
    (the original Rick James!)

Sing unto Him a new song; play skillfully with a LOUD noise. Psalm 33:3
    Lincoln Brewster Kutless Newsboys Third Day David Crowder U2

Re: Trouble with Vintage Rail

they changed forums

the pup should definatelly sit flat.

what if you use the screws that came with the hot rail?

Comment

I can't use the screws that came with the Hot Rail, because they are either holding the Hot Rail in place, or they are too small.

Explanation: The Hamer screws are flat head, while the Seymour Duncan screws are oval head, that is the originals are flush with the guard, but the new ones stick up. I tried using the Hamer screws for the look (and I believe that is what I did with the Hot Rail) but they were too small diameter -- they fell right through. So I had to use the new screws.

I could probably open the springs up with pliers and that would work. But I wanted to try the rubber tubes, since someone obviously thought this was a better solution.

On my lunch hour, I raised the D and G string a bit on the saddle. I raised the pickup a bit as well -- I think it might be settling in -- is that possible? But it seemed to play okay. Perhaps I was just being impatient.

Rick
      Rick

Comment

Often when a pickup (especially in Strat type guitars) leans toward the neck it is because the lead that runs from the pickup to the switch is hanging up on the body route and that causes a pulling on the lead, and that makes the pickup sit funny in the guard.
        www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
        www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Here's what you do:

1) Clip off some of the excess screw length
          2) Get some springs with a wide base...like this

Comment

Robert -- thanks, I was wondering if the wires might be a problem... I always feel like I'm just stuffing all that in there ... kind of messy

mrid -- so are you saying the rubber tubes aren't the best solution? The spring you show is like the stock Hamer spring. I can alter the spring to make it work. But why should I shorten the screws?

Thanks,
            Rick
            Rick

Comment

Working...
            X