RS Kits, Gibson, Duncans, and Darkbursts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS Kits, Gibson, Duncans, and Darkbursts

I have a 93 Gibson V and a 03 Les Paul Standard. I had the RS upgrade electronics kits installed into both guitars this week. I also had WCR Darkbursts installed into the LP, while the Flying V kept it's Duncan 59s.

Holy Crap!!! These things now sound amazing. The guitars are louder, clearer, and have very controllable tone. The change is incredible -- they used to sound thin and anemic, almost as though there were a blanket or filter over the sound. I got about 50 percent of the tone that I am getting now. With the V I can now get tones ranging from Scorpions and Michael Schenker, to early Metallica, to Albert King blues tones. Clean tones are also amazing, crisp and clear. I also installed a push/pull on the tone knob to tap the 59s, which adds a whole new variety of choices.

The Wagner Darkbursts are incredible!!! They replaced the stock burstbuckers, which I was not impressed with. I can't believe how good these things are. This is the way a Les Paul should sound. I don't believe the sound samples on the WCR website do these pickups justice -- they seem more flexible and toneful than that. From great cleans to heavily distorted tones, the Darkbursts get what I want out of my guitar. This is why I bought a Les Paul!!!

Kudos to Duncan for the 59s, WCR for the Darkbursts, and RS Electronics.

-Mark
    "Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it." John Adams

Re: RS Kits, Gibson, Duncans, and Darkbursts

Sounds great! It's amazing the difference some decent pots and caps make to a production Gibson. I was blown away when I upgraded them in my '96 Standard.

Why the heck doesn't Gibson fit 500K audio volume pots in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by Fiesta Red
      I also had WCR Darkbursts installed into the LP

The Wagner Darkbursts are incredible!!! They replaced the stock burstbuckers, which I was not impressed with. I can't believe how good these things are. This is the way a Les Paul should sound. I don't believe the sound samples on the WCR website do these pickups justice -- they seem more flexible and toneful than that. From great cleans to heavily distorted tones, the Darkbursts get what I want out of my guitar. This is why I bought a Les Paul!!!

Kudos to Duncan for the 59s, WCR for the Darkbursts, and RS Electronics.

-Mark
      Agreed. Do a search for my review of the Darkbursts. They are great pickups and give you a super-phat PAF tone. The bridge can a smidge bright, but the neck and middle are to die for. The '59s are also tried and true classics (that for the cost) can't be beat.

Congrats on the ToneFest upgrade!

Regards,
      Lee Moore
      Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

I've been hearing alot about these RS kits over on the LP Forum.

What exactly do they do?..

what do they consist of parts-wise?

Cost of the kit? And a typical charge for the install?
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F
          Sounds great! It's amazing the difference some decent pots and caps make to a production Gibson. I was blown away when I upgraded them in my '96 Standard.

Why the heck doesn't Gibson fit 500K audio volume pots in the first place?
          Good question!

Last month I replaced the 490r neck in the neck of my SG (490t bridge) with a Seth. While that was an improvement (not nearly as muddy), it still didn't have enough cut for my taste. So two night ago I replaced the linear 300k volume pot (measured 270k resistance) with a 500k audio taper pot (measured 510k resistance) and replaced the 0.022µ tone cap with an 0.01µ cap). That made a huge difference, and now the Seth balances a low better with the 490t in the bridge.
          This machine kills fascists

Comment

I must be a minority here I tried a pair of Darkburst in my McCarty a few weeks ago and only thought they were ok tone wise and were very well made, But I sold them 2 days later. I prefer the fuller sound from the McCarty pups and also the Darkburst also were borderline from being microphonic with high gain they are very sensitive.

Maybe I should have got the Goodwoods they sound much thicker than the Darkburst! Oh well just my opinion anyway but glad you guys are enjoying them!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
              I've been hearing alot about these RS kits over on the LP Forum.

What exactly do they do?..

what do they consist of parts-wise?

Cost of the kit? And a typical charge for the install?
              Jeff....they're just high quality caps and pots...the really open up the tone of the guitar. For a LP you will get 4 new pots, caps, ect.

There are a couple of ways you can get them. I think the kit that you assemble yourself is $25 bucks or so....I'd have to look at the site. What they offer that is really cool is a set that's pre-wired. You litterally just take the old stuff out, drop this new set in and wire the pups. There are a bunch of us that can talk you through it really easily. I think the pre-wried kits run about $40.....I'm going to do them in both my Lesters later this month.
              My Sound Clips

Comment

Working...
              X