Clear All

Re: Anyone Know Anything About The Bare Knuckle Hum.pups

Originally posted by shredaholic
    yep! the marshall stack
    ...and the AC30!

Comment

"isn't he Irish? - therefore not british"

We're blaming you guys for everything, the ozone, world hunger, the decline of Detroit autos! ALL OF IT!
      "Faster than a laser bullet
      Louder than an atom bomb"

Comment

haha - if your gonna blame britain, blame the prime minister Tony Blair. He sucks.
        Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
        Marshall Mods

Comment

I want a warpig so much...anybody wanna gimme one for a lot less than they cost?
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

haha - if your gonna blame britain, blame the prime minister Tony Blair. He sucks.
            Fair enough, I hereby declare PM Tony Blair responsible for all things wrong with human kind!
            "Faster than a laser bullet
            Louder than an atom bomb"

Comment

To answer the original question, I have a pair of Alnico IV mules in an early Santana SE and they are terrific. Slight variations in technique and control settings now make clear differences in sound. I am no virtuoso but I have been playing for 35 years and can recognise real tone when I hear it. Having just read the reviews in Guitarist magazine I reckon the days of BareKnuckle being a cottage industry are numbered - get them while you can!

Comment

bump

Comment

Originally posted by HarryPotter
                  Having just read the reviews in Guitarist magazine I reckon the days of BareKnuckle being a cottage industry are numbered - get them while you can!
                  in that case, I better order the pickups BEFORE the parts for my custom warmoth. it's a great company as it is now, the owner Tim answers all questions on the forum every day! what other pickup company does that??
                  Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
                  Marshall Mods

Comment

in that case, I better order the pickups BEFORE the parts for my custom warmoth. it's a great company as it is now, the owner Tim answers all questions on the forum every day! what other pickup company does that??
                    Tim is also a monster guitarist, as well.
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by HarryPotter
                      To answer the original question, I have a pair of Alnico IV mules in an early Santana SE and they are terrific. Slight variations in technique and control settings now make clear differences in sound. I am no virtuoso but I have been playing for 35 years and can recognise real tone when I hear it. Having just read the reviews in Guitarist magazine I reckon the days of BareKnuckle being a cottage industry are numbered - get them while you can!
                      Harry, I'm very interested hearing your opinion about the Alnico IV Mules. How would you describe the tone (bridge, neck)? Are they smooth, or bright? How is the treble/mid/bass content? I was looking for a smooth, rounded highs, buttery mids tone. Something for rock/blues/hard rock like Slash (GNR and Snakepit era)
                      Thank you

Comment

Ced asked for my thoughts on AIV mules. I remember when comparing them at LGS2004 that A2's were quite smooth and toneful. As my axe is all mahogany I reckoned I needed the additional bite from the AIV's. I also tried a pair of pickups with A5's. These were much tighter and more suited to rock - think Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak era.
                        Altogether I'm very pleased with my choice. The neck pu backed off gives a gorgeous tone almost like you've got the chorus switched in - remember that Chris Isaac single from years ago? With both pu's on and a little gain you can nail the rhythm parts from Abraxas. I've had these pu's for a year now and I'm still finding new sounds. This may seem strange but it's true.
                        FWIW I use a Boogie Subway Rocket and/or POD Mk1.
                        Any more questions I'll try to help

p.s. I heard someone trying a set of strat pick-ups and nearly bought a guitar just to put them in - unreal.

Comment

Would you say the A4 is between A2 and A5 ? (for the Mules).
                          What kind of music do you play with your Mules A4?

Do you remember the model of single coils? (curiosity)

Thank you

Comment

Tonewise, the A4 is very similar to A2 but brighter and more lively. Ideally suited to blues where the amp is just on the verge of breaking up - my influences are Joe Walsh, Pete Townsend, Doobies, SRV - so nothing really heavy. A4 also ace for playing slide. If you run lots of pre-amp gain and want a more 'modern' sound then A5's would be better. Play your guitar unplugged in a silent room - mess around with different styles - if you can hear the tone you want then A4 mules will bring it out. IMHO A2's are probably more like Seths or Ants and I reckon you'll need a fairly bright sounding axe with a well cranked power amp to make them sing. To answer your question, the numbers are not in 'sequence' so A4 is much closer to A2 than you might think. A5 is a very different animal - easier to control on a high gain set-up but less rewarding elsewhere.

Hope this helps

p.s. I don't know about the strat pu's.

Comment

My impression of Alnico 4 is that it has more bass response than Alnico 2 but not as much as Alnico 5. It has a flatter EQ curve than 5 but a boost on each end (highs and lows) than Alnico 2.
                              Generic signature line.

Comment

Working...
                              X