Visual difference between Ceramic and A5 magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visual difference between Ceramic and A5 magnets

Are there any markings on either magnet that can help me distinguish one from the other? Also how do you know what is north and south?

Re: Visual difference between Ceramic and A5 magnets

Ceramic will be black (just like a refridgerator magnet) and all types of Alnico have a silverish look to them.
    ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Comment

I took apart a 59 I had. The magnet was black but one side of it had a silverish look. I guess it is safe to assume this is an A5.

Comment

I'm not sure what the markings are for cerarmic, but the magnets that were installed in my SD pickups have these markings:

A2 = blue (it rhymes, which is how I remember)
        A5 = black (uh, the one that doesn't rhyme)

The marking on the side goes towards the neck (at least for the bridge, I'm not sure about the neck).
        This machine kills fascists

Comment

Originally posted by TopJimmy
          Are there any markings on either magnet that can help me distinguish one from the other? Also how do you know what is north and south?

Also how do you know what is north and south?[/QUOTE]

do what you would do if you were lost use a compass!

Comment

The magnet I pulled out of my SD '59 was not all silver. It was black all around except for one side of it. I'm looking to make one of those Custom/59 hybrids and want to make sure I have an A5.

Comment

if you got the pup from a dealer and not used, then I'm willing to bet that its A5. now if you got it used or from a buddy, double check. All the ceramic mags I've seen are all black, w/ no silver side. Good luck on that hybrid.
              This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Working...
              X