switching options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switching options

looks like i am gonna get a '59neck for the bridge postion of my superstrat. i am thinking about going with a pair of either Fender Texas specials or SD Antiquity Texas hots for the neck and middle.

my question is this: can i replace my 5 way switch with a 3 way and have it set up as follows: 1st pos= 59neck(at bridge), 2nd pos= mid and neck(not sure if i would go series or parallel here), and 3rd pos= neck only.

what do you guys think? my guitar currently has a 5 way switch, 1 vol, 1 tone, and a coil tap switch for the humbucker. i dont know if i will keep the coiltap or not.

please offer any suggestions

Re: switching options

I just "doodled" this real quick, but looks like it should work.
    You must use the "Alco" style 3-way.

I just thought - an "Alco" switch won't fit the "slot" where a 5-way used to be.
    But, you can't use a "slot-style" 3-way, and make this work. Some compromise is in order.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-20-2004, 05:14 PM.

Comment

[But, you can't use a "slot-style" 3-way, and make this work. Some compromise is in order. [/QUOTE]

what kind of compromises? in sound or what?

Comment

I meant in terms of the physical mounting of the switch. An Alco style switch uses a hole like a pot does, rather than a slot.

The good news though, is that I think this will work with a slot-style 3-way also. So, you won't have any oddball mounting problems. As soon as I get home from work, I'll post the new diagram.

Comment

thanks very much. i have been thinking maybe i should have the 3 way switch select between bridge only, middle only, and neck only. what do you think?

also, i have reconsidered the coil tap. i think i do want to be able to use the '59 as a single coil sometimes.

Comment

You can certainly do that, and I can draw that up if you want, but I'm not sure I understand why you'ld want to eliminate the usual #2 & #4 positions of a 5-way. Those can be some pretty nice tones also. And they're free.

Comment

i guess i will just keep the switching like it is now, and just upgrade the pickups

Comment

Working...
              X