Sing Sing Hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sing Sing Hum

I have a mid 80's Kramer Focus with 2 single coils and a humbucker at the bridge. It has 3 single on/off toggle, and one volume control. Don't laugh it plays great! I was wondering what kind of modifications can be made to it. I would like to be able to control the tone and volume as much as possible.
    I also would like some recommendations on replacement pickups, the originals are just too twangy for my taste. I have no idea what wood this guitar is made from.
    Please let me know what recommendations you have for this. I play mostly rock and hard rock with it. I'm anxious to get this upgraded and sounding GREAT.

Thanks for your time and help.

JJ Edwards

Re: Sing Sing Hum

Originally posted by jjedwards
    I have a mid 80's Kramer Focus with 2 single coils and a humbucker at the bridge. It has 3 single on/off toggle, and one volume control. Don't laugh it plays great! I was wondering what kind of modifications can be made to it. I would like to be able to control the tone and volume as much as possible.
    I also would like some recommendations on replacement pickups, the originals are just too twangy for my taste. I have no idea what wood this guitar is made from.
    Please let me know what recommendations you have for this. I play mostly rock and hard rock with it. I'm anxious to get this upgraded and sounding GREAT.

Thanks for your time and help.

JJ Edwards
    I'm not going to get into the switching but I Like using vintage sounding single coils in my neck and middle spots...I use either the SSL1s or the APS2s..The SSL1s are brighter and chimey sounding with A5 poles...The APS2s are warmer,still chimey but with a touch of the highs rolled off and are A2 poles...Use these to tame the toppy tone...My favorite now though,is the Antiquity Texas Hots for strat..These are the best sounding single coils I've used in any of my many strats...If you want more overall balls and are looking into side by side single coil sized humbuckers,others will have to chime in for you...

Great strat bridge pickups I've tryed....
    The 59B Tremspaced is hard to beat....This is a great first choice!
    The Custom Custom is great also,more balls and more mids...
    The PG+ is pretty cool also...Very crunchy,cuts great,but is pretty toppy in the wrong guitar...
    I'm using a "Hybrid" in one of my strats that has the slug coil of a Custom with a PGB screw bobbin and an A2 magnet..
    The Scremon Demon is another great pickup and I have that in yet another strat's bridge spot...

Your Kramer is more than likely "alder"...

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

John,

Which single coils would you recommend for use with the 59 Trembucker? Would either the SSL or APS pickups be anywhere near the 59 in terms of output or would they be overpowered?

Thanks!
      Bob

Comment

Originally posted by rhaas
        John,

Which single coils would you recommend for use with the 59 Trembucker? Would either the SSL or APS pickups be anywhere near the 59 in terms of output or would they be overpowered?

Thanks!
        Bob
        Bob...If you want a true vintage single coil tone,go with the SSL1s..if you need to trim a bit of the glassy highend of the A5 poles that the SSL1s have,then go with the A2 APS 2s...You should be able to match up great with the 59 pickup...

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I would use an Alnico Pro 2 in the bridge, and 2 x SSL-1's. For something a bit hotter, you can use a Demon.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I'd get a tremspaced Custom 5 bridge hum, a Hotrails neck in black, and possibly leave the stock middle pickup in it.

Just my 2 cents.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              I'd get a tremspaced Custom 5 bridge hum, a Hotrails neck in black, and possibly leave the stock middle pickup in it.

Just my 2 cents.
              How about a Hot Stack or a Vintage Rails in the mid? They could work.
              Ibanez RG1570: stock
              Squier Strat: stock

Next on the list: an amp that isn't crap!

Comment

Thanks for the replys. I have quite a bit to check into now. Anybody have an wiring mods? I'd really like to put a tone pot in bare minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by jjedwards
                  Thanks for the replys. I have quite a bit to check into now. Anybody have an wiring mods? I'd really like to put a tone pot in bare minimum.
                  Use a No Load Tone Pot for your tone control(s) See how to make your own with my tutorial...It's a basic and easy mod but it works great..

John

Comment

Working...
                  X