SSL-1 with JB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSL-1 with JB?

i intend to use a SSL-1 in the middle position, and a JB in the bridge.

1) can the SSL-1 keep up with the JB's output?
    2) how would they sound together (SSL-1 + JB's slug)?

Re: SSL-1 with JB?

I've not played either one, but the general comments I've seen on this is that the JB overpowers the SSL-1. There is quite a disparity in output between the two. Switching between the two is very uneven output wise.
    Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
    -Conrad Hilton

Comment

all of my hamer super strats came with this combo and the jb does over power the ssl-1 but they do work ok
      Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
      Suhr OD-50
      Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

Better to use a Demon with the SSL-1.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
          Better to use a Demon with the SSL-1.
          +1 that is a very good combo!
          Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
          Suhr OD-50
          Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

I ould suggest an ssl-3 for the mid position. got one, love it. bit hotter, still relativley vintage in character.
            "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

can the the SSL-3 provide the 'chime'?

for that matter, how about the Demon? i always have a bugging feeling about names like that, because it gives me the impression that it's an overly extreme pickup. not that i don't play stuff that would need it, but i am looking for a great quack in a middle pickup to blend with the JB in the bridge.

Comment

i think i might be going with the SSL-5 in the middle for its output while still having a good amount of chime.

i want to have humcancelling quack when the bridge JB's slug and the SSL-5 blend.

should i be getting the normal version or the RW/RP version? and what is the difference between tapped and normal?

also, staggered or flat?

the guitar is essentially a HSS, but the neck is actually a sustainer driver coupled with a single-coil. that means there is not much that can be done with the neck pickup.

Comment

I'm very satisfied with th JB/SSL2 combo. You will definitely get some nice quack, but no humcancelling unless you split the JB.
                  Split JB/SSL2 also sounds very good although I do not prefer that. Split JB + SSL1 needs the normal version (not RW/RP) if you wire as discribed in the package insert.
                  Fender Strat Elite, Epiphone Emporer Regent, Framus Renegade Pro (4x SD Pickups!!!), modded Samick Skull&Snake
                  Marshall 6101, Vox AD30VT
                  Pedals, pedals, pedals ...

Comment

i have a bridge-on switch on this guitar that lets me enable the bridge pickup regardless of what position the 5-way switch is at. hopefully that will give me both options of full JB + SSL-5 and split JB + SSL-5.

Comment

Working...
                    X