Who Uses Alnico 2 Pro S Coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Uses Alnico 2 Pro S Coils?

I turned a sterile underpowered standard Squire Strat into a tone monster using Alnico 2 Pro S coils in the neck & mid positions. As single coils are just too bright/brittle in the neck position (old old strat problem), I put a "Little '59" there. The results are stunning..

I chose the Alnico 2 Pros to try and retain the essential Strat sound, and they do a good job in this respect. I wanted tone rather than power. Not too many people here mention this particular SD pick up and seem to prefer Alnico Vs.

Anyone else use the Alnico 2 Pros or care to comment?

Regards to all..

Re: Who Uses Alnico 2 Pro S Coils?

Originally posted by Adey
    Not too many people here mention this particular SD pick up and seem to prefer Alnico Vs.
    ???
    I think there are quite a few of us who have mentioned that we like A2Ps - just check the reviews in The Vault - but you're right, the A5 pups are more popular
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

I have the Antiquity Texas Hot with the A2 mags in the neck of my strat. I love it.
      Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
      -Conrad Hilton

Comment

I use APS 1's in the neck/mid, and APS2 in the bridge. I really dig the sound and smoothness with gain.

Luke
        “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Thanks Guys.

Luke, i'm impressed you got a good APS2 sound in a Strat bridge position. Had to move mine - OK for clean but lowlevel distortion sounded awful. It smoothed out on a high gain set up, but that's not my thing. Perhaps I should wire my bridge pup to a tone pot..

The APS2 in the mid and especially the neck position is a thing of beauty, regardless of amount of distortion you favour!

Comment

Perhaps I should wire my bridge pup to a tone pot..
            I always do this on my own wiring, and it's a simple mod
            "music heals"
            facebook

Comment

I've been using APS-1's with a Hendrix "reverse" bridge pickup in my Fernandes strat for years. They are very, very sweet.
              John Cipollina August 24, 1943 - May 29, 1989

Comment

I know a friend who has them in a Strat, but I haven't tried it out yet. I might this week though.
                formerly n00b

Comment

I may try that combo in my daughter squire strat.
                  Dealer for: Seymour Duncan, Tonepro, Allparts, Tech-21, Moses Graphite, CBI Cables, Mallory, Orange Drop & Hovland Capacitors, Hipshot & WD Products.

www.blackrosecustom.emerchantpro.com

Comment

Thanks Guys.

Luke, i'm impressed you got a good APS2 sound in a Strat bridge position. Had to move mine - OK for clean but lowlevel distortion sounded awful. It smoothed out on a high gain set up, but that's not my thing. Perhaps I should wire my bridge pup to a tone pot..

The APS2 in the mid and especially the neck position is a thing of beauty, regardless of amount of distortion you favour!
                    Man I LOVE the sound. but I have the neck and middle pup wired to one tone and the bridge to the other. I like the way I can keep the neck/mid chimey and the bridge rolled off so pos. 2 sounds beefy yet not dark. Then when I cut to the bridge alone it is very fat. I run the tone for the bridge at 4 or so. The neck/mid about 6.

Luke
                    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Working...
                    X