Jerry Cantrell pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Cantrell pups

I know the JB is perfect for Alice in Chains, but what about his solo albums? I really like the intro to "Bargain Basement Howard Hughes," off of Degradation Trip. What pups would be good for that tone? I'd imagine something like Custom/59, cause it's crunchy, and he's using Pauls now pretty much.
    Ibanez RG1570: stock
    Squier Strat: stock

Next on the list: an amp that isn't crap!

stock lp pups..
    Guitars:
    87' Gibson Les Paul Custom- Stock PUs
    86' Carvin V220- Super distortion neck, tonezone bridge....
    87' Cort Unknown Model, Modded- Dimarzio Super Distortion Bridge with Alnico V mag.

Amp:
    Bogner Ecstasy-stock Tubes
    Marshall JMP 50 watt- stock Tubes
    Fender Deluxe 90-Solid State..:-P

Comment

Stock?!? Seriously? Which ones, the 498/500Ts, the BBs?

Comment

I don't think he really cared a lot about his pups. Think about it. The man has one of the first Bogners ever made, he has tone no matter what guitars or effects he runs it through

P.S. Your avatar rules... I love Tool
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
          I don't think he really cared a lot about his pups. Think about it. The man has one of the first Bogners ever made, he has tone no matter what guitars or effects he runs it through

P.S. Your avatar rules... I love Tool
          Yeah you're right. But for some poor sucker like me who has a mere mortal amp, how could I come close to that tone?

P.S. I like your avatar too, assuming you mean to reference that episode of Family Guy.

Comment

I'd say a Custom 5 or Custom will have the tight bottom which is perfect for Alice type riffs. As long as the distortion on your amp is set about the same as Jerry's, you won't be that far off.

I use pretty much the same rig as Cantrell, so I know those two pickups will do it for ya. Now, if I could only get my tone to be
            as bad as Jerry's.......LOL.....OK, I'll stop! LOL
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              I'd say a Custom 5 or Custom will have the tight bottom which is perfect for Alice type riffs. As long as the distortion on your amp is set about the same as Jerry's, you won't be that far off.

I use pretty much the same rig as Cantrell, so I know those two pickups will do it for ya. Now, if I could only get my tone to be
              as bad as Jerry's.......LOL.....OK, I'll stop! LOL
              Bad tones, c'mon man! LOL, anyways, yes it would definately work for Alice stuff, but it would work for his solo album stuff right? Just want to be 100% sure of facts before I commit them to memory

Comment

Working...
              X