My (TB-4) JB review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My (TB-4) JB review

First of all, I'd like to add that the TB-4 doesn't add up to anything soundwise, just needed a TB for the spacing. Bought it from a great forummer named Captaincrunch though I've put it in much later. I had a friend install it, replacing the DiMarzio Tone Zone. We had to nip off the sides, because my axe wouldn't let the baseplates fit (triangle shaped, pups are directly mounted into the body), but that didn't affect anything else anyway. I've put it in the bridge position of an Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (HARD mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard). As for previous post readers, it's completely noiseless, my friend said it could be more noiseless but it's as quiet as ever :?

The sound's big and balanced and isn't very tight, the axe has a relatively heavier mahogany and sounds pretty dark though the JB lights it up like a candle . Unlike most people say, the JB doesn't sound too bright at all (probably because of the axe). It sounds very Megadeth, probably because of the tonal woods in combination with the JB. You can get that crunchy Rock & Roll tone to that heavy shred kinda tone, though it hasn't got THAT much picking attack, more than most pups though. It's fuller than the Paf Pro, because of the super mids. I've played it through a Randall RH200SC head and a Marshall JCM900 cab, and also through my bedroom Marshall MG30dfx. I was expecting the oposite of the Tone Zone, though I got something in between both the oposite and the TZ. I like it a lot! The cleans are very clear and sparkly, and sound very percussive and smooth when split, probably even better than the Paf Pro.

In conclusion, this one's a keeper! It was my previous favorite, but I came to the conclusion that I like the Screamin' Demon (in the neck) a little more. Both sound very modern and I can't wait to experiment with the JB some more when I get my V Amp 2

Thanks to all of you who helped me pick this magnificent pick up
    Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
    Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
    Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
    Marshall 2x12 Vintage
    Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Just as a sidenote, glad someone other than me has seen the torture that is called "putting an aftermarket pickup other than a DiMarzio into an RG3120... "

Nick

Comment

Very cool...the JB is my favorite Duncan for the bridge
      :afro:

Comment

i find the JB tight ... hehe

I don't hear much differences through the vamp-2 with distortion when i change the guitar or pickup. If I play my real amp the difference is much bigger....
        RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
        TS 7 (modded)
        Hot Rod 50+ XL
        Framus Dragon 4x12
        V-AMP II for practice

Comment

i ordered yesterday the jeff beck tb-4 and it's going to replace the tone zone in my floyd rose strat.......let's hope the never ending tone quest comes to an end........

Comment

i thing it's very tight sounding in my alder SG .. the mahagony helps to tame the heights a lot IMO

Comment

I think the JB is also a great pickup but it is amazing how perception is everything. I have a friend who is a diehard Dimarzio guy and hates Duncans.....he replaced the JB in two of his guitars with the tone zone and said he noticed a huge improvement in tone. You or I could have the opposite reaction.

It's amazing how so many are either Duncan guys or Dimarzio guys.

Comment

Originally posted by ntotoro
                Just as a sidenote, glad someone other than me has seen the torture that is called "putting an aftermarket pickup other than a DiMarzio into an RG3120... "

Nick
                Had it as well, with my Baritone Seven (RG1077XL)
                Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                  Had it as well, with my Baritone Seven (RG1077XL)
                  I can believe it, Tim. Those Ibanezes with body-mounted pickups seem to give everyone fits unless you use DiMarzio pickups because the cavities are so shallow. When I put a Duncan Distortion and '59 into my RG3120, I actually had to route the cavities a little more... and that was with the short-legged DD.

If the DD had short legs, the Tone Zone I popped out of the 3120 must have been a dwarf...

Nick

Comment

Yeah that was kinda annoying, I also tried what Zerb told me, bending the plates with a pair of plyers, but I was afraid I'd pull the whole pick up apart. Oh well, it doesn't have any bad consequences if I'd sell it, but that's nut likely to happen I like it a lot! I've been starting to get a lot more picking attack with my V Amp 2 which arrived today.
                    Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
                    Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
                    Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
                    Marshall 2x12 Vintage
                    Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

I heard the JB's with black coloured bobbins are darker sounding than the white ones. Zebra coloured bobbins create a balanced tone.
                      Life's a journey, pack a lunch!.

Comment

Working...
                      X