banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How will a 500k v. pot and 250k t. pot sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How will a 500k v. pot and 250k t. pot sound?

I've a strat I'm doing some modifications to, 3 pickups and room for 2 pots. I've 2 regular 250k pots I could use, and 2 500k/250k dual concentric pots I could use. I would wire it so one dual conentric pot controls the bridge and neck pickup, and one dual concentric pot controls the middle pickup. If I were to use the 500k portion for both volumes and use the 250k portion for both tones, would it sound much more trebly than if I used a 250k volume pot as well? It would seem to me that if the signal first went through the volume pot, then the tone pot, that anything over the tone pots limit would just be bled off, is that correct?

Re: How will a 500k v. pot and 250k t. pot sound?

Originally posted by wasteofo2
    If I were to use the 500k portion for both volumes and use the 250k portion for both tones, would it sound much more trebly than if I used a 250k volume pot as well? It would seem to me that if the signal first went through the volume pot, then the tone pot, that anything over the tone pots limit would just be bled off, is that correct?
    The first sentence is essentially correct - you'ld have more treble, perhaps too much.

The second sentence isn't really correct. There is no "tone pot limit" per se. Think of the volume pot as a control that determines how much of the overall signal that gets out - and the tone pot as a control that determines how much treble doesn't get out.

If you're talking about placing the tone pot, electrically, after the volume pot, thats whats refered to as the "50's mod", and is used by quite a few folks on here.

Comment

Re: How will a 500k v. pot and 250k t. pot sound?

So if I put the tone pot electrically after the volume pot, would the 500k volume pot essentially not make the tone any more trebly?

Comment

Working...
      X