Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Duncans are for me?

Hi there,

I'd like to get a little advice regarding pickups if you care to help me out.
    Right now i'm playing an esp ec-1000 through vetta II hd through a mesa 412, and I'm not quite satisfied with the EMG 81's that come stock with the ec 1000. I like to think I play harder rock (ie tool, old metallica etc.) but not quite grinding metal, which the EMG's seem well suited for.

Anyways, I find when tweaking patches that, in almost all high-gain conditions, I have to roll back both the treble and presence till about 7:30/8:00 just to avoid getting that "piercing" high end that blows out your ears. The vetta's post eq can curb this a bit, but I'm thinking that a lower-output pickup would be the right move. Any ideas on what to check out?

Re: Which Duncans are for me?

You should look at the Duncan Distortion...
    Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Welcome to the board mmmyap!!!

ESP also sells the EC-1000 stock with JB/59 set, so that's an option. I myself would probably go with a C5 in the bridge as opposed to the JB (little more bottom end and smoother highs, IMO). The C5 is a great all around pup & a fave of many of the forum bros. I do like the Distortion also, but definately hotter than the C5. Check out some of the soundclips on the SD site, may help. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Originally posted by mmmyap
        Hi there,

I'd like to get a little advice regarding pickups if you care to help me out.
        Right now i'm playing an esp ec-1000 through vetta II hd through a mesa 412, and I'm not quite satisfied with the EMG 81's that come stock with the ec 1000. I like to think I play harder rock (ie tool, old metallica etc.) but not quite grinding metal, which the EMG's seem well suited for.

Anyways, I find when tweaking patches that, in almost all high-gain conditions, I have to roll back both the treble and presence till about 7:30/8:00 just to avoid getting that "piercing" high end that blows out your ears. The vetta's post eq can curb this a bit, but I'm thinking that a lower-output pickup would be the right move. Any ideas on what to check out?
        I also have a Vetta and never liked the EMG 81 through this amp. The 85 sounds warmer and has more body IMO. I also recommend the C-5, and the Dimarzio Air Zone on others' recommendation. I use the Rio BBQ and have no issues with piercing treble. My experience with a digital amp is that the pickup needs to fill out the sound a little and I find that will come from thick mids and fat bottom, which is a big reason i come back to the BBQ quite often. If you are going Duncan, I can say the C-5 is very clear and shouldn't give you any issues with the treble. I never have my treble as low as you though. Do you gig?

Comment

Distortion, Custom 5, JB, or Custom would all be killer in that axe, it's really up to your ears though, go check out the sound samples for each.

Comment

Working...
          X