• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WICKED LESTER
    replied
    Re: duncan distortion,invader users are you

you guys crack me up
    exactly what is a P.A.F sound anyways???
    they(gibson P.A.F's from the '57-'60 era) all sounded different

Leave a comment:

• bloodswords
    replied

Originally posted by ranalli
    I don't hear any kind of PAF tone in the Distortion....
    you're not supposed to, the Distortion has more mids. what i'm trying to say was, the Distortion preserves the foundation of the PAF-type tone, ie, a reasonable low-end & a treble response which exceeds the former frequency range. the essential difference lies with the midrange, which the Distortion has an excess of, with regards to the PAF of course. however, do not expect microscopic similarities because the Distortion & any PAF-type pickup differ in their respective magnetic strength.

Leave a comment:

• Low_fidelity2100
    replied

I've used both with, and without tone pots at different times. I personally prefered both with tone knobs. I know it bleeds off treble, but still. Neither ever seemed muddy to me.

But To all those dudes that said they never use they're tone controls I gotta say "WHAT THE H?!?" how can you not use yer tone control.
    Like maybe i'm weird. But I use my tone and Volume controls constantly. I especially love the sound of a Soulful lead played with the Neck and Bridge on together, but the Bridge tone rolled all the way down, and the bridge volume at around 8.

I seriously can't imagine not useing my Tone controls. But to each his own I guess.
    You guys don't know what your missing though.
    Ed

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

I actually kept the 300k in the bridge. I don't want it any brighter. I think I like it like that with big treble high output pups.

I do use the 500k in the neck, though.

And if you never want to make an on-the-fly treble adjustment, go for it. In my old age, I can get particular some days and need a tweek here or there.

Leave a comment:

• RiffGuy
    replied

Originally posted by WICKED LESTER
    using a tone pot with these pups?
    I heard both of these sound best with just a 500K volume hooked up?
    the DD i heard thgis way was much better sounding but i have not tried the invader with no tone pot yet
    Crap, man. I don't know. I've used both with a tone knob. How are they supposed to sound without one?

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

Originally posted by WICKED LESTER
    The tone pot bleeds off some highs and output UNLESS you have a NO LOAD tone pot which is what i am switching to
    These do not affect the tone at all until you go below full with them
    then they act like any tone pot.
    Yeah, I know that the pickup is brighter without it. What I meant was, if you don't like it with a tone pot in the circuit, I seriously doubt taking it out is gonna change your mind.

Leave a comment:

• bubbahotep2k3
    replied

I don't hear any kind of PAF tone in the Distortion either....

I disconnect the tone pot from my ibanez rg570 with the DD in the bridge and its sound slighly brighter... saves me the trouble of constantly checking that the pot is on 10...

Leave a comment:

• ranalli
    replied

Originally posted by bloodswords
    i have both pickups & it's not about one being better than the other. it's about liking what they have to offer. if you are into lots of bass but still wish to maintain single note bottom end definition, the Invader is the way to go. the Distortion simply offers you what a typical PAF would have in store, but at a much more output level, much more midrange intrusion as well. if you solo in the neck, the Distortion is also a good pickup there.

I don't hear any kind of PAF tone in the Distortion....

Leave a comment:

• WICKED LESTER
    replied

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
    I don't think the presence of a tone control is gonna make or break a pickup. However, I do prefer ALL 'buckers to be sans tone knob.
    The tone pot bleeds off some highs and output UNLESS you have a NO LOAD tone pot which is what i am switching to
    These do not affect the tone at all until you go below full with them
    then they act like any tone pot.

Leave a comment:

• Forbes
    Guest replied

I've tried both, however one invader was in an RG with tone and one was in strat without tone, it could just be the guitar but i'd say i prefered it without tone knob.

Leave a comment:

• bloodswords
    replied

i have both pickups & it's not about one being better than the other. it's about liking what they have to offer. if you are into lots of bass but still wish to maintain single note bottom end definition, the Invader is the way to go. the Distortion simply offers you what a typical PAF would have in store, but at a much more output level, much more midrange intrusion as well. if you solo in the neck, the Distortion is also a good pickup there.

Leave a comment:

• flipside
    replied

i have my Invader hooked up to my master tone pot in addition to my volume. JB_From_Hell said it right, the absence of a tone control won't affect your pickup. I don't even know why i have one, because i never use it. If you want to adjust your tone, do it one your amp, it should sound better that way too.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

I don't think the presence of a tone control is gonna make or break a pickup. However, I do prefer ALL 'buckers to be sans tone knob.

Leave a comment:

• Travis
    replied

I've got a pair of Distortions in a Charvel 750xl wired with two volumes and no tone pots. I've got another 750xl with a Distortion in the bridge wired in the traditional volume + tone pots, and I have a Charvel 650xl with a Distortion in the bridge wired to the active boost, volume and tone pot. All 3 of them sound killer.

Leave a comment:

• Kac
    replied

I've had the Invader in the bridge position of 3 different guitars, and I always had a tone pot, maybe I was missing out on some great sounds by using a tone pot... I know I never turned it down, so there was really no need for it... HMmm...

Rock On

Leave a comment:

Working...
X