JB vs. Distortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB vs. Distortion?

I'm considering pulling the JB out of my Schecter (if for no other reason than trying to hold off GAS). I'm considering the Distortion as I like the higher output pups, and want something a little punchier and meaner. Anyone have experience with the Distortion? Note that I tried the Custom and didn't like it one bit compared to the JB.
    PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
    PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
    GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
    Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
    Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
    various pedals

Re: JB vs. Distortion?

The DD is a great sounding pup!! Similar to the JB, but fuller with more bottom-end. Its a little more harsh, but with more growl...not as warm as the JB. Has some really nice C H U G, C H U G to it.Cleans up pretty good too! I put this in my LP in place of a JB.

Cheers Primo.
    GEAR: 2008 Gibson Les Paul Custom(ebony) w/ C8 & PGn, 2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom(cream)w/ C8 & SD APII , '95 Epi LP Gold Top w/ JB & '59, '97 Fender Am Std Strat(Black) w/SD aps-1, '84 Profile Strat(Black), '06 Black Epiphone Korina Flying V w/EMG's, '04 Epiphone Dot w/JB & Jazz, Squier 50's Vibe Telecaster butterscotch blonde w/SD Hot Rail bridge, Marshall JVM410Head & Marshall TV4X12 cab w/V30's, Marshall DSL40C 1X12 combo, VOX AC30CC 2X12 combo.

Comment

It's my favorite bridge pickup. I was a big JB fan til I started using this, I like it so much better.

Comment

The DD sounds more compressed and grainy. The magnet is strong and the pole adjustments are pretty significant for tweaking the tone. I really like it for hard rock.
        My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Which of the 2 would say has better pitch harmonics. ala Zakk Wylde!!!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to pick one up this weekend and drop it in the Schecter.
            various pedals

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtyking
              Which of the 2 would say has better pitch harmonics. ala Zakk Wylde!!!
              Having both, which are both great, I would definately give the edge to the DD.

Cheers Primo.
              GEAR: 2008 Gibson Les Paul Custom(ebony) w/ C8 & PGn, 2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom(cream)w/ C8 & SD APII , '95 Epi LP Gold Top w/ JB & '59, '97 Fender Am Std Strat(Black) w/SD aps-1, '84 Profile Strat(Black), '06 Black Epiphone Korina Flying V w/EMG's, '04 Epiphone Dot w/JB & Jazz, Squier 50's Vibe Telecaster butterscotch blonde w/SD Hot Rail bridge, Marshall JVM410Head & Marshall TV4X12 cab w/V30's, Marshall DSL40C 1X12 combo, VOX AC30CC 2X12 combo.

Comment

And would putting in an Alnico 5 magnet warm it up a bit and smoothen out some of the grainyness?
                Sorry to bardge in but I have been thinking of replacing my JB with a DD too lately. The extra bottom end is very welcome but I wonder, exactly how close are the JB and DD together in tone? Harmonics? Crunch?

Comment

I'm sure an A5 would smooth it out, but I think you would have essentially a JB. Theres people here that have tried it, maybe do a search and see what you can dig up.

Cheers Primo.

Comment

Originally posted by primo
                    I'm sure an A5 would smooth it out, but I think you would have essentially a JB. Theres people here that have tried it, maybe do a search and see what you can dig up.

Cheers Primo.
                    Yeah I did a search, but to no avail.
                    I've read before that a DD with an A5 magnet is very close to a JB but I have a hard time thinking that putting a ceramic magnet into it would turn up the bass that much. A DD does have a lot more bass than the JB right?
                    I changed out the A5 in my '59 and the extra growl and tightness is perfect but it didn't get much bassier (on the contriary actually). I know, I should just try it, but I'd like some more opinions first before I go at it.

Comment

I changed the JB to a DD in my LP because I wanted more bottom-end. A DD definately has more bass. I think you might lose some bottom-end by changing from a ceramic to a A5 or A2. Maybe compare the Custom series specs?

Cheers Primo.

Comment

The Distortion is awesome in a C-1; I tried the Jerry Horton model which came stock with it.
                        ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Comment

In the interest of science I'll cut some clips with both pups and all other factors equal.
                          various pedals

Comment

Originally posted by chcjunior
                            In the interest of science I'll cut some clips with both pups and all other factors equal.
                            That would be awesome! Already looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by chcjunior
                              I'm considering pulling the JB out of my Schecter (if for no other reason than trying to hold off GAS). I'm considering the Distortion as I like the higher output pups, and want something a little punchier and meaner. Anyone have experience with the Distortion? Note that I tried the Custom and didn't like it one bit compared to the JB.
                              I pulled the DD outta my ESP to put a JB in...never looked back either...I love the jb...not overly fond of the DD..was kinda harsh and compressed sounding
                              Splawn QR
                              Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
                              Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s
                              George Lynch Skulls n' Snakes Sig ESP w/JB trembucker

My Cover Band
                              My Gear Pix
                              My SPLAWN Clips
                              My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

Working...
                              X