Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JB vs. Distortion?

Originally posted by Nightburst
    And would putting in an Alnico 5 magnet warm it up a bit and smoothen out some of the grainyness?
    Sorry to bardge in but I have been thinking of replacing my JB with a DD too lately. The extra bottom end is very welcome but I wonder, exactly how close are the JB and DD together in tone? Harmonics? Crunch?
    I've been fishing some on this subject too, 'cause I am gathering info to decide on another pickup for one of my guitars. I had a JB before and liked it very well for a long time and then traded it for a Screamin' Demon. I like the Demon, but miss some aspects of the JB (output, thickness). I was going to just buy another JB, but I heard about others putting an A5 in a DD and getting something very similar to a JB, but with a little tighter bass and more clarity (which was probably my only complaints about the JB). Hearing this, I'm probably going to end up buying a DD and trying it out and if it's too harsh and compressed, I'll throw in an A5 and see how it goes. I may even take it a step further and order the DD with double row adjustable screws instead of screws + slugs to add even more versatility. That way, I'll have the ability to swap between two VERY useable pickups whenever necessary. As a side note, the ceramic magnet in the DD is said to be larger than the one in the Custom, so putting any ceramic in a JB will not necessarily get you a DD.

I'm just wondering what the difference is between a JB and a DD other than the magnet material and a small difference in DC resistance? Different wire? Winding method?
    My Gear:
    Kramer USA Baretta II;Ibanez RG550 (MIJ)
    Laney Pro Tube Lead AOR 50watt 1x12" Combo
    Boss GT-3;ProCo Rat2;DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp;DOD 201 Phaser;DOD FX-90 Delay

Pickups Used:
    TB-12 Screamin' Demon;TB-4 JB;SH-10 Full Shred;SH-5 Custom;TB-1 '59;TB-6 Distortion

Comment

Originally posted by Leather Rebel
      I've been fishing some on this subject too, 'cause I am gathering info to decide on another pickup for one of my guitars. I had a JB before and liked it very well for a long time and then traded it for a Screamin' Demon. I like the Demon, but miss some aspects of the JB (output, thickness). I was going to just buy another JB, but I heard about others putting an A5 in a DD and getting something very similar to a JB, but with a little tighter bass and more clarity (which was probably my only complaints about the JB). Hearing this, I'm probably going to end up buying a DD and trying it out and if it's too harsh and compressed, I'll throw in an A5 and see how it goes. I may even take it a step further and order the DD with double row adjustable screws instead of screws + slugs to add even more versatility. That way, I'll have the ability to swap between two VERY useable pickups whenever necessary. As a side note, the ceramic magnet in the DD is said to be larger than the one in the Custom, so putting any ceramic in a JB will not necessarily get you a DD.

I'm just wondering what the difference is between a JB and a DD other than the magnet material and a small difference in DC resistance? Different wire? Winding method?
      Well I'll let you know how the magnet swap turns out as I'm definately going to try it. I also have some single coil bar magnets that might fit in to replace the spacers. Maybe I can fake a bigger ceramic magnet that way. It will definately be a fun experiment!
      If you go ahead and try the DD with an A5 I (and probably many others)would defnately apreciate it if you would post the results.

Comment

I have a DD and i love it. good for ac/dc type stuff to very heavy stuff wit a lot of gain. I dont use it much on clean though unless im looking for a clean tone with a bit of gain and snap to it otherwize i use my alnico.
        Gear:
        -Epiphone Les Paul- Bridge-Dimebucker, Neck-Alnico Pro II
        -Fender Show Master- Bridge-Pearly Gates, Neck- SH59.
        -Takamine Acoutic/Electric Guitar
        -12 String GK Guitar
        -Epiphone Acoustic
        -DSL 100 Half Stack, Avatar 2X12 Cab.
        -Tube Screamer TS808, Marshall Blues Breaker 2, Ibanez DL10 Digital Delay, Boss GE-7

Comment

Working...
        X