Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust on an SH-4, JB

Hey all,

Just bought a guitar on eBay and it came with rust all over my pickguard screws, controls and pickups. The pickguard screws... OK, that's and extremely easy and cheap fix. However, this thing has a JB (Black) in the bridge and a SH-2 in the neck... both with corrosion on the poles.

Does anyone know how to remove the rust from the poles without melting the surrounding plastic? I really want to keep this guitar with the pickups it came with. And I want it to look relatively good.

Any help?

By the way, for reference... the guitar is a cheap (but cool) Ibanez Talman TC420. The three-way tele-style toggle is corroded too. Help there as well???

Re: Rust on an SH-4, JB

Originally posted by ocifersven
    Hey all,

Just bought a guitar on eBay and it came with rust all over my pickguard screws, controls and pickups. The pickguard screws... OK, that's and extremely easy and cheap fix. However, this thing has a JB (Black) in the bridge and a SH-2 in the neck... both with corrosion on the poles.

Does anyone know how to remove the rust from the poles without melting the surrounding plastic? I really want to keep this guitar with the pickups it came with. And I want it to look relatively good.

Any help?

By the way, for reference... the guitar is a cheap (but cool) Ibanez Talman TC420. The three-way tele-style toggle is corroded too. Help there as well???
    I don't think the rust will be a problem but if the looks of it bothers you,you might carefully trying a dremel tool with a little wire wheel...Carefully see if you can remove the rust...Steel wool might work also,but you don't want any shavings to get inside of your pickup...These shavings would be worse than the rust... I've heard of guys using clear nail polish to keep the poles from rusting if you happen to get yours shiny again..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I'd suggest buying new polepieces. If the slugs are rusty as well I'd say polish them with some kind of polish that isn't agressive towards the plastic(?) bobbins. Don't use steel wool around your pickups!

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst
        I'd suggest buying new polepieces. If the slugs are rusty as well I'd say polish them with some kind of polish that isn't agressive towards the plastic(?) bobbins. Don't use steel wool around your pickups!
        Yes...And as I mentioned,any kind of metal shavings etc..around pickups and magnets is always a bad thing...I guess if your very careful and have a steady hand,you could remove the rust..I don't think polish is going to get you there and replacing poles isn't something for any novice! You may have to think this idea out?

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
          Yes...And as I mentioned,any kind of metal shavings etc..around pickups and magnets is always a bad thing...I guess if your very careful and have a steady hand,you could remove the rust..I don't think polish is going to get you there and replacing poles isn't something for any novice! You may have to think this idea out?

John
          Isn't replacing the polepieces done by just unscrewing the old ones out of the bobbin and scre th new ones in? It's not like the wiresare directly wound around the polepieces? (like on fender pickups)

Comment

Working...
          X