banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are pinch harmonics? and what pick ups does it well?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are pinch harmonics? and what pick ups does it well?

That's about it. It takes some practice. Practice the technique a bunch, and you'll have em jumpin out in no time. ( also, add a bit of vibrato with your fretting hand, it helps the harmonic sustain )
    Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Originally posted by strat_master
      Hmm just to see if im on the right track is it basically hitting the string with the tip of the pick and the thumb at the same time? basically the string is inbetween the pick and your thumb so your kind of pinching the string?????? am i even close to the right technique? umm also where on the fret board can i nial these pinch harmonics down?
      You got it!! Once you practice them you can get them on about 90% of the neck.

Comment

try brushing ur thumb on the string after u strike it with ur pick

when u find it, keep practicing

i do it often, and i can now pretty much do em with no volume or even without the guitar plugged in! not perfect, but i am getting better.
        <Insert awesome equipment here>

Fender MIM Midnite Wine Satin Strat
        Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue Amp
        Boss BD-2 Blues Driver overdrive

and a couple guitar picks

Comment

Jolly & Slash857 -

Thanks for the help in understanding pinch harmonics - tone & technique!

Chip
          Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
          Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
          Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
          SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
          SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
          "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

A good way to practice them is to keep doing chromatics up and down the neck with pinch harmonics. Do it until they all "squeal" nicely and you can go fast.

Comment

Beware! Once you get used to playing certain notes on certain strings as pinch harmonics, you'll never be able to play them normally again.

Comment

I dunno what im doing wrong, they do sound a little more higher but they don't "squeel" like i want them too! I duno what im doing wrong! And i do a little vibrato for good measure but nothing.
                Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

I do them a little differently. My middle or ring finger nail comes into contact just a tiny bit after the pick hits the string. I don't know how anyone else does it with anything else, but I can get those whistling 4th, 5th & 9th's like Michael Schenker does with no problem. I've found that ANY pickup will pick them up but a higher output pup senses them a little better.
                  www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Listen to ZZ Top "La Grange"

Pearly Gates
                    JB
                    "One other thing... I think it rips through your clothes when it takes you over...."
                    R.J. MacReady, John Carpenter's The Thing

http://www.myspace.com/PegasusActualMusic
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dzNCgX0QW0

http://www.soundclick.com/randymcfarland
                    http://www.soundclick.com/randotones

Comment

I dunno what im doing wrong, they do sound a little more higher but they don't "squeel" like i want them too! I duno what im doing wrong! And i do a little vibrato for good measure but nothing.
                      Lots of distortion helps and play around doing it at different spots in the picking area until you find your sweet spot. Moving the pu higher might help also. Just mess around until you get it.

Comment

Originally posted by rhmcfarland
                        Listen to ZZ Top "La Grange"

Pearly Gates
                        JB
                        Billy Gibbons' playing is the best example for pinch harmonics. You need a small stiff pick, hold it close to the tip, and let the side of your thumb hit the string as you pick. I actually have a callous on the side of my thumb from doing pinch harmonics for so long. You need a bright pickup in the bridge. It doesn't really matter if its a single coil or humbucker. I can get them on any of my guitars (tele, strats, and prs), but I can get them all day long and anywhere on the neck of my tele.

Comment

Make sure you've got fresh strings. And you won't be able to do it on all frets. Try the 7th fret (D note) on the G string. That's a sweet spot.

Comment

Working...
                          X